WBP Plywood Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to build a leanto shed utilising two existing walls of my house. I prefer to use 12 or 18mm WBP Pine plywood (sometimes called shuttering or hoarding ply). Since its WBP the glue should be waterproof, at least to some extent. The sheets will be treated with a couple of coats of good quality woodstain on the external face and edges. They will be butted together and the joints sealed with mastic and supported with 2"x2" and 2"x3" framing.

Once constructed I will not have easy acess to the external walls to restain etc, although because of their location they will not receive harsh weather.

I hope the shed will last 5 years.

Do you think the ply will be suitable and will it last?

I don't want to waste money on exterior hardwood ply or marine ply.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you need to raise the bottom of the sheets 200mm or so above ground level to reduce damp and rainsplash.

if you can put a couple of courses of brickwork on the base this is one good way. Do not stand the cladding on the bricks, let it overlap them so water drips off and they are not standing in it.

give the edges extra coats of paint or stain to prevent water penetration.

if the timber is protected from damp it will last well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back