Making good after I've installed a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2017-2-7_17-23-16.png

upload_2017-2-7_17-24-26.png

As you can see I've installed a lintel, I've got the little bit of stud built, now ready for the door.

How do I make good? I'm guessing I use bonding to bring it out level with the existing wall, then multifinish the complete wall (I'll get a plasterer to do that bit).

What about the reverse side of the lintel, it's recessed, should I glue a piece of plasterboard in to bring it out level?

If you're wondering why the opening is so wide, it's because there was a door already there, we just needed it moved across by about 700mm.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
You could use adhesive foam for the plasterboard, but a safe and secure method is to use an HSS or titanium coated drill, and then bolt a piece of wood either side, and then screw some plasterboard on. The glue may not take properly, and could come apart after the walls skimmed.

Nice job, well done.

Will Bonding stick to the lintel?

And will I need to PVA the blocks before I apply Bonding?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, and yes.

I think you'd need to fix stainless steel mesh to the lintel, and then bond it. But I've just spotted the holes in the lintel, so you might be able to hold the plasterboard up against the lintel, drill some holes through it from the back, and then go the other side, and screw in to the holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back