Making good after removing sash boxes - any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting a house removing the old sashes. This house is getting the Upvc treatment as it is a rental house.

I know that there is a step in the brickwork to accomodate the sash boxes and while I am having much of hte house replastered from brick I am wanting to ge the neatest result on the windows reveals as possible (i.e. not electing to cover them up with trim)

Having done a search, I think I can use masonry or timber to fill the void. Using massonry I can then corner bead it and plaster the solid reveal corners, skim. Will a brick on its end be the right shape to fill the gap exactly?

Is this the preferred route , if not, with timber what size would I use? I guess I need to account for the thickness of the plasterboard? I have seen it cocked up before.

Any pointers welcome.

Sponsored Links
What a shame you wish to destroy another part of our heritage, add to environmental pollution and resource depletion - and reduce the value of your house.

I reckon you could replace the sashes with new double glazed sashes,draughtproof, fit a new set of window furniture and decorate your existing box frames for around the same money as a upvc replacement.
But if you are set on plastic then both methods are common but i prefer to brick up,bond then skim.

OK Biff dont give me a hard time. My own house I have gone to great lengths and restoration expense to avoid taking out the original Oak frames windows but this is a rental house which will be occupied by students plastic is the only realistic and pratical solution, honest. Cost and maintenance wise theres no contest. This house is on a row of 8 terraces which are all (except 1) rental houses, all front gardens are converted to car parks, all have had thier sash windows taken out, and opposite it is 60's council houses. We are not losing any significant heritage here.

Sashwizard thanks, will I have to get some blocks to cut to size or will a brick on its end be OK?

Sponsored Links
upright brick will leave you big gaps to muck up,halving bricks works well or i suppose you could cut some breeze blocks to size builders merchants sell hand saws for this purpose or an old saw will do.
Just an idea but alot of people leave the box frame and fit upvc/ally windows inside the box its very quick and easy!!!!

The existing boxes may be defective (and in any case hollow) and thus unsuitable for securing new uPVC windows to BRegs standards.

The is Glass and Glazing Federation has a recommended method of installing uPVC windows when sash boxes are replaced. See Section 4, and diagram page 38, Figure A5, see

http://www.ggf.org.uk/publication/t...installation_of_replacement_windows_and_doors

NOTE
* Use of DPM (since abutting brickwork)
* Packing pieces should be "tanalised" (since abutting brickwork) although not shown on diagram
* Diagram indicates no work necessary to reveals (although some plaster may fall off when removing sash boxes)
* "Trim" shown covering joint between uPVC frame and "packing pieces". Most installers would use uPVC trim.
* Alternative would be "trimming" with planed timber to resemble original sash boxes. I am considering this latter DIY; I would be interested in any experience others have in doing this ( dimensions, fixing method)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back