UPVC sash window fixing issue with brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have ordered 3 upvc sash windows to replace the rotten timber windows at the back of my Victorian house.

I was advised that these new windows needs to be installed using the supplied fixing brackets.

The problem that I am encountering, is that depth of the new windows is the same as the internal reveal (i.e. flush with the internal plaster). So, the brackets will stick out by about 50mm from the wall!

There is space between the window sides and brickwork. Do I install timber into this space, bend the bracket and fix onto the timber from the front?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think if you pull the window travelling stops out you will find a couple of places to fix it with frame fixings

Could you not bend the brackets around the reveal and plaster over or finish with some architrave?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have ordered 3 upvc sash windows to replace the rotten timber windows at the back of my Victorian house.

I was advised that these new windows needs to be installed using the supplied fixing brackets.

The problem that I am encountering, is that depth of the new windows is the same as the internal reveal (i.e. flush with the internal plaster). So, the brackets will stick out by about 50mm from the wall!

There is space between the window sides and brickwork. Do I install timber into this space, bend the bracket and fix onto the timber from the front?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The lugs should be designed to clip on, the 50mm overhangs the front of the sash and needs to be bent at a right angle so you can then fix into the stone work.
Personally never used lugs on sash, we always screw timber around the sash, gives us something to pin the timber architraves to.
A God said, other fixing point is behind the caps at the bottom (outside), these will slide up.
Behind the top cap (inside) as well. Best to screw timber to the top if you can, you'll have somewhere to fix for curtains/blinds etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back