Making holes in sleeper walls to let you crawl through them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1940s ex council end terrace house.

Its epic and I love it!

However its a bit cold... there is a bit of a draft coming through the bathroom floor under the bath and coming up through the laminate floor. I was thinking that this would be easy enough to sort by squeezing under the floor into the crawl space, about 2 to 3 foot hight, maybe more, and then hanging insulation between the floor joists on netting to trap a bit of heat and block the drafts. A few houses I have stayed in before have had this and it seems to work well.

This is where the problem is, I can only get under the floor in one location, under the stairs, everywhere else is laminate or tiled. This wouldnt be a big issue but there are no holes in the sleeper walls big enough for me to squeeze through. Every house I have had previously have had holes in the sleeper walls to crawl through. They have all looked like they have been bashed in by someone in the past.

Can I safely make holes in these sleeper walls to squeeze through? Is there a best place to do it? Near the middle? Under a door? Between two doors? do I knock away from the top or bottom of the wall?

Thanks!

David.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back