making my computer last longer

I shouldn't worry about making it last longer cos it'll be out of date in 6 months :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
I shouldn't worry about making it last longer cos it'll be out of date in 6 months :LOL:

It's already out of date when you buy it! You should never go for the bleeding edge components however, as you simply end up paying a vast premium for something that is going to be almost immediately superceded.

Sponsored Links
Turning your PC off when not in use is perfectly OK. Unless you are operating in a very cold environment the idea of components expanding and contracting is very out of date. This originates from when computers were the size of a small village and generated so much heat that they had to be kept in an air conditioned computer room that was kept very cool. Then components would move!

Also, think of the planet and your leccy bill, turn it off!

Back to your original point, if you want to make it last, the best thing you can do is keep it well away from a carpeted floor! you would not believe the amount of fluff that can cover every single bit of your precious hardware. If you can't avoid the carpet, then invest in a tin of compressed air, and give the insides a good blast to clear out all the crud. Do this around once a month (more if the cat uses the warmth of the PSU as a bed!!).

Merv

Allenm said:
Back to your original point, if you want to make it last, the best thing you can do is keep it well away from a carpeted floor! you would not believe the amount of fluff that can cover every single bit of your precious hardware. If you can't avoid the carpet, then invest in a tin of compressed air, and give the insides a good blast to clear out all the crud. Do this around once a month (more if the cat uses the warmth of the PSU as a bed!!).
You're right there! Mine sits here out of neccesity for space:
ScreenHunter_012.jpg

It's only 18 months old but when I opened it up last week to replace the CD writer for a DVD writer the amount of dust and clag inside it was so unbelievable I really couldn't understand how it was still working! I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that most of the boards inside had a layer of dust about 3mm thick. Needless to say I attacked it with the hoover and will be opening it up to do the same monthly from now on!

AdamW said:
pipme said:
Apparently, 'Hibernate' creates a file a little larger than the total amount of memory in the computer ...

Well, I only have 900GB on which to write a file containing the contents of my 1.5GB RAM :D
You Flish Gat ;)

ninebob said:
Needless to say I attacked it with the hoover and will be opening it up to do the same monthly from now on!

Eeek! Get some nice clean compressed air, should only cost a fiver from any decent pc hardware store. It'll do a much better job and you wont knock all your lovely hardware about with it. If you turn the can upside down and spray you also get a great little freeze gun to taunt the cat with.

Bargain.

Hmm, compressed air, I'd be wary of this. Last time I tried it, I blew all the dust into the PSU, which promptly shorted out. :eek:

Eddie M said:
Hmm, compressed air, I'd be wary of this. Last time I tried it, I blew all the dust into the PSU, which promptly shorted out. :eek:

Thats a lot of dust. Or a crap/old PSU. Or perhaps a combination of all three. :LOL:

Compressed air is a standard tool for pc maintenance, been using it for a long time and never yet damaged any hardware. Keep your pc's innards clean and the chances of hardware failure are drastically reduced.

Eddie M said:

Never known dust to cause a short, but one temptation for the uninitiated, is to use it too close and at full blast. Net result is ice forms, which then melts, leaving components damp.

I guess I could have been unlucky, mind you, wasn't my machine, so didn't really care !!

Sponsored Links
Back