Best way to clean inside of computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody my uncle has a new problem with his computer. He says it keeps cutting out. I've never seen it doing it but I think it's an overheating problem. My first computer one morning shut off by itself and just got worse. Called computer guy and he hoovered it and it stayed on.

Anyway as I've never taken the side off a computer is there anything I need to know about? I know you should touch metal to get rid of any static build up but I don't want to damage anything so any tips? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
While you have the top off examine the motherboard for "bulging" capacitors. If you have any on the board this can explain why the machine closes down for no apparent reason.

View media item 22877

Cleaning a computer, if the central processer is fitted with a fan, over the heat sink, (most are) then make sure the fan is cleaned, as this draws air over the cpu, there is usually a build up of dust on the fan blades and the heat sink.
I use clean compressed air (low pressure) to blow the dust off the components, then vacuum to collect disturbed dust.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
I can't remember when he said it started happening but he said he could have it on for hours then it would just cut out. Now he can only switch it on for a few minutes before it cuts out. He says he's probably going to get a new computer next year.

He always seems to be having the computer guy out. Last time it wouldn't boot up due to bad sectors on the hard drive so that involved a full reinstall of the operating system. :cry:

BTW where can I get a can of compressed air? cheers.

I can't remember when he said it started happening but he said he could have it on for hours then it would just cut out. Now he can only switch it on for a few minutes before it cuts out. He says he's probably going to get a new computer next year.

He always seems to be having the computer guy out. Last time it wouldn't boot up due to bad sectors on the hard drive so that involved a full reinstall of the operating system. :cry:

BTW where can I get a can of compressed air? cheers.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25351&source=2001&doy=search

I don't know if it's good practice, but what I do with my own is take the fan and heatsink assembly off the processor, and wash all the dust off the sink with hot water, washing up liquid and a small paintbrush, and clean the fan with a very small moist paintbrush. On reassembly you need a tiny smear of magic thermal paste. Dry it all throughly on a warm surface such as a radiator before reassembly.

I also clean the ventilation fan with a small moist paintnbrush, rinsing it in warm water and washing up liquid frequently to wash off the dust it's picked up. The bottom of the case may be thick with dust, I use a damp sponge. Damp cleaning prevents setting the dut flying and maybe ending up somewhere worse.

I don't do it often, but they can get very dirty.

Well I haven't been able to get round to his house so he just called computer guy out yesterday. Apparently he tried to boot it up but it wouldn't start so he decided to take it away. He'll get back to my Uncle next week but he believes it's gone to the computer graveyard in the sky. :cry:

My Uncle is not going to be able to get another one untill next year. Both my Aunt and Uncle are visually impaired and they want to get this computer that speaks to them but it costs £800. My Aunt needs it more than my Uncle so really it's for her. I'll let you know when the computer guy gets back to them and if it's a goner. lol

Just to let you know the conclusion. Uncle has just got his computer back and it turns out it was a Power Supply Pack . It also used to make a funny noise when starting it up but that has gone. So he's happy it's back from the dead. lol.

Cleaning a computer, if the central processer is fitted with a fan, over the heat sink, (most are) then make sure the fan is cleaned, as this draws air over the cpu, there is usually a build up of dust on the fan blades and the heat sink.
I use clean compressed air (low pressure) to blow the dust off the components, then vacuum to collect disturbed dust.

Wotan

This happened to my computer, same effect, turns off the computer. I got it cleaned in a computer shop. They say it is recommended to clean at least once every 3 months.

Get this...
PC-Wiz.jpg

From here - freeby...
CPUID - PcWizard

Useful... How accurate ??? Who knows? Provides some kind of base line...

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back