computers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i've got a desktop with Windows 7 on it (installed recently by a mate who knows about these things!) and it has been working perfectly for the past few months. Started it up this morning and all was well until the internet froze - so I switched it off by the "big button". The machine re-started and all was well then the normal display simply disappeared with with the comment "no signal" being displayed and the computer emitting a high pitched "beeping" sound every few seconds.

I've tried switching off and on again several times but it fails to display any details and keeps emitting this high pitched noise.

Any ideas?????

Sponsored Links
Suggestion #1:

Turn off, disconnect from mains.

Open case, grab hold of every card, memory stick etc and ensure they are fully plugged into the motherboard.

P.S. ensure your not wearing nylon underpants and touch some earthed metal before doing this (to remove any static).

It is common for computers when moved for the interface cards etc to become unseated a little.

For a more details reply please let us know the make/model - motherboard make/bios make/version etc.
And how many beeps?

Yup.. Sounds like the Graphics card needs a wiggle.

The beeps are actually telling you what the problem is.. If you had the Motherboard manual they list the "beep codes"

iirc 5 beeps is gfx

Guys i've fixed it. Spoke to several mates that know about these things and they advised to check what type of motherboard it was and google that "BEEP"code for that motherboard combination. Got the info, google'd it and it pointed me towards RAM. So i took out and re-seated the RAM, still got the problem. Took out and cleaned the contacts on the RAM with some meths and a cotton bud, still got the problem. Removed one block of RAM and tried it still got the problem, switched them over and hey presto the problem went away - guess i've got some faulty RAM.

Many thanks for the input guys, just thought i'd provide full details of what I did in case any other member gets the same problem.

Pemba

Sponsored Links
Guys i've fixed it. Spoke to several mates that know about these things and they advised to check what type of motherboard it was and google that "BEEP"code for that motherboard combination. Got the info, google'd it and it pointed me towards RAM. So i took out and re-seated the RAM, still got the problem. Took out and cleaned the contacts on the RAM with some meths and a cotton bud, still got the problem. Removed one block of RAM and tried it still got the problem, switched them over and hey presto the problem went away - guess i've got some faulty RAM.

Many thanks for the input guys, just thought i'd provide full details of what I did in case any other member gets the same problem.

Pemba

The easiest thing to do is google your problems which turned out great for you. Glad you got it working.

Back