M2N-SLI Deluxe - Will not post. PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!
I have a m2n-sli deluxe ATX Mainboard from ASUS, which will will not post/display anything onto the screen. Heres what happens when you switch the computer ON:

- The CPU fan spins for 10 seconds, and switchs off. Sometimes it remains on
- The power LED switchs on for 5 seconds, turns off, but the HDD LED remains switched on
- There are no beeps from the internal speaker.
- The fan connectors (5 x 3 pin) don't seem to have enough power to power the fans as the case fan makes a squealing noise but does not spin.

This is what I've tried:

- I've taken both memory modules out of their slots - this gives 1 short and 1 long beep (indicates that the BIOS may be okay!)
- I've changed power supply units (same problem).
- The graphics card is brand new, i've touched it and its warm (not hot) when the computer is switched ON.
- I've unplugged the hard drive as well as the CD drives (Same problem).
- I've cleard the CMOS.
- I've tried it with the pci slots empty and the graphics card still slotted in!

My computers Specification:
- 250gb Hitachi SATA Hard Drive
- 2x Pioneer CD/DVD RW Optical Drives (1 x Sata - 1 x IDE)
- AMD Athlon X2 4200+
- Nvidia GeForce 210 (ASUS)
- Alpine 650watt Power Supply Unit
- 2 x 1GB corsair value select memory modules PC2-4200

It would be a relief if this was to work! Please assist me in the right direction anyone! :!: ;)

Sponsored Links
Symptoms suggest either a faulty motherboard or CPU. You'll need a spare of one or the other.

I've tested the CPU on another AM2 mainboard, it fully works i.e. it boots on to windows with no errors!

I've tested one of the fan connectors, and the power fan works fine!

Sponsored Links
Can anyone else help Please? Would it help if I got a new bios? I've ordered a post testing card from eBay, will that be any good?

Can anyone else help Please? Would it help if I got a new bios? I've ordered a post testing card from eBay, will that be any good?

Asking questions nobody can answer will not help you. If that board will not boot with a working CPU, one working stick of RAM, and a working GPU, with nothing else connected to it, then it is most likely faulty. What reason do you have to believe there is a problem with the BIOS?

It might tell you where it stops posting, but why not just source a replacement board. You have tried your components in a similar one already.

The only thing you haven't mentioned checking is the state of the CMOS battery. I've seen a flat battery stop a system from starting, but it was on a very old board.

I had a similar issue with a motherboard one time and almost binned it.
Somehow by chance I tried it with a different CPU heatsink ,in the desparate hope that it was not up to the job.
The board fired up, but not because it was overheating the cpu -it was that the old heatsink had a metal backplate which was shorting out the solder points on the back of the board!!!

Check this-its one in a million but you never know...

That'd be your fault for removing the protective plastic layer on the backplate.

I've removed the bios chip, turned the computer on and the cpu fan does'nt seem to be going off but when I put the bios chip back in, it turns off.

do you think the bios needs updating, as it might be that the cpu needs the latest bios to work? its and AMD Athlon X2 4200+

It's very unlikely that the BIOS needs updating for the CPU, and generally the BIOS would manage to boot sufficiently to perform an update.

I refer you to my previous post:
Monkeh said:
What reason do you have to believe there is a problem with the BIOS?

You say you have removed the memory and you do get the POST beeps? that could be a clue

Try your memory in someone else's PC and try their memory in yours, that would indicate if your memory is in working order

That'd be your fault for removing the protective plastic layer on the backplate.

Have you tried the Micromart Forum -its awash with unhelpful assumptive sniping-or did you get kicked off there for being an amatuer......... :idea:

Have you tried the Micromart Forum -its awash with unhelpful assumptive sniping-or did you get kicked off there for being an amatuer......... :idea:

I've never been there, and I am most certainly not an amateur. I have never seen a metal backplate without a protective layer. It was either somehow not supplied, or intentionally removed. This leads me to assume that either you or a previous owner removed the insulator or installed the heatsink without it.

Sponsored Links
Back