electrics problem computer develops same fault

I honestly don't think it will be the power supply in your house. You are using a surge protector, but if you are in a UK town there is unlikely to be a problem except during thunderstorms. It is more likely either bad luck to have two similar faults, or possibly vibration or handling (I mean, something might have come loose in your new PC as it has recently been in transit - unless you are standing it on top of the washing machine or something ;) ).

It is possible to have a new display not work because the Refresh Rate is wrongly set, but in this case (in my slight experience) you see the power-up text when your turn on the PC, before Windows starts. It is also possible for the plug or cable to the display to come loose, but your helper would have spotted that, I'm sure.

If you have opened the case and fitted parts yourself it is worth using an antistatic wrist strap, especially if you have nylon carpets or rubber soled shoes. It is also possible to disturb plug-in parts when fitting new cards.

I hope the supplier either replaced or repaired your new machine?

Sponsored Links
I got my money back and now have no computer and dont want to buy one as im pretty sure the same thing will happen dont know why but it is just a hunch. I actually suspected the problem was the electrics before i bought the new won and low and behold the new one did the same thing im afraid thats too much of a coincidence for me. My landlord has said he will do a full check on the electrics but has been fobbing me off for a while because he doesnt believe me. I thing he thinks im trying to scam a new computer which im not i just want the confidence that if i get another one it will work and not develop the same fault. I have never used a wrist strap but do make sure i earth myself before replacing anything on a pc and they have always worked afterwards also had computers in other properties and never used a surge protector and the have never given me any problems apart from the usual ones some of which are on this forum and i wish i had some of those becuase ive sorted those out myself in the past, they take a while but i usuall get there in the end. This one has got me.

Thanks for all the advice

I think i will just have to move.

Are you having bother with any other appliances ?

I'm no expert but i'll be surpised if your landlord doesn't require the electrics to be checked annually on the property.

Forgive me if you've already tried but did you try using different plug sockets ?

Is it a flat or house ? How many ring mains do you have ?

Like the other guys i'm not convinces it's the electrics......I think you've kust been unlucky twice.

Long shot, but did you get a new kb and mouse with the replacement pc or are you using the old ones? I had a mouse once with a damaged cord, kept giving me bsod.

Sponsored Links
mack10 said:
Thanks i have tried, actually paid money to someone my computer guy at work recomended. He diagnosed first it was the graphics card which i changed on the old computer and it worked for a few days then went the same way again then he said it was the motherboard and i would have to replace it but it was too old to replace.
Sorry to hear that - you had some bad luck for two components to fail in a short period.

At that point I thought ill buy a new computer and it did the same thing. I actually took the new one back and they said it was the motherboard but it was PC world so I took that with a pinch of salt.
This perplexes me - I presume from the word "new" that this computer is still under warranty. If so then surely you have a valid claim under that warranty?

is your new flat house hotter is the pc near a radiator or something usually dust heat or damp pcs dont like . and being thrown around lol sounds like bad luck to me . i just made a pc from parts people had thrown my way said they were knacked , but they wer,nt . computers are mysterious things , usually a simple reason for the faults

If it is simple fault then why after talking to various people and having people look at the computer and even suggesting faults then why after 3 months after i moved in have I not got a working computer in my flat. An electrician check the continuity on the flat yesterday from the consumer board. He did a few checks and found a loose connection on a kitchen light switch which was scorched and he changed that
but said it would have nothing to do with my computer problem as it was on a different circuit. Apart from that he found nothing wrong. That said after he left we went out came back in switched on the hall lights and they flickered like mad and flickered when I pressed the hall light switch. I then turned it off then on again a few times now it is seems to be working ok, so that was a bit weird. I am having the electric supplier check the supply from the street into the house so if that is ok I will get another computer because i took the new one back as it was under warranty, but why have i got the feeling that the same thing might happen again even with a surge protector???

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

mack10 said:
If it is simple fault then why after talking to various people and having people look at the computer and even suggesting faults then why after 3 months after i moved in have I not got a working computer in my flat.
Because you haven't asked anyone competent, that's why.

will get another computer because i took the new one back as it was under warranty, but why have i got the feeling that the same thing might happen again even with a surge protector?
How would I know why you've got that feeling? Maybe it's because you don't know enough about either computers or electricity?

What particularly baffles me is that you've taken the new computer back but don't seem to know what was wrong with it. Did you not ask the shop to tell you what the fault was?

Any comments would be very much appreciated.[/quote]
I suggest that you engage a computer repair company that operates on a "no fix - no fee" basis.

Well it was really wasnt a question but you are right. I have spoken to a lot of people electricians and computer people and they all must be incompetent because i havent got an answer . I only use a computer and electricity I am not really interested in knowing anything about the works and the people who profess to and set themselves up as experts cant tell me, at least the ones i have spoken to, what is wrong. Its a London thing im sure the place is full of cowboys. I wouldn't be on here if i knew enough about computers or electricity believe me.

The shop did say what was wrong "it must be the motherboard" that was after telling me that it was the hard disc and me telling him it couldn't be the hard drive as he just gave me some info of it i put on there before it went capute so they were not much help either.

I think i will tkae the old one to a shop as you suggested and leave it there
until he/she can tell me what is wrong but im 40 no and i remember taking faulty TVS to shops and never seeing them again because they couldnt work out the fault.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Softus said:
suffolklad said:
computers are mysterious things
No they're not.

usually a simple reason for the faults
That's much nearer the truth.

Both statements could be considered true.

A couple of incidents come to mind. The first where a customer brought a PC to the workshop saying it constantly reboots, but shows no evidence of such on the bench. I returned it as no fault found but he called me later to say the fault happened again as soon as he switched it on. It turned out that he had a PS2/USB adaptor for his mouse, but had plugged his USB printer into it instead. The second was similar, but the customer had managed to bend the pins on a PS2 keyboard in such a way as to get two pins into the same socket.

Igorian said:
Softus said:
suffolklad said:
computers are mysterious things
No they're not.

usually a simple reason for the faults
That's much nearer the truth.

Both statements could be considered true.
I think you know what I meant. Examples of mysterious things:

1. Pyramids.
2. The bottom of every ocean on the planet.
3. How Roger Moore can be considered by anyone to be a actor of note.
4. Pretty much everything my mother has ever said. Ever.

By comparison with these truly mysterious things, computers are a walk in the park. Clearly each fault is very frustrating until it's fixed, but that's not the same. IMHO.

A couple of incidents come to mind. The first where a customer brought a PC to the workshop saying it constantly reboots, but shows no evidence of such on the bench. I returned it as no fault found but he called me later to say the fault happened again as soon as he switched it on. It turned out that he had a PS2/USB adaptor for his mouse, but had plugged his USB printer into it instead.
This is the type of experience that underpins my long-standing policy of never delivering, or by any other manner releasing possession of, a customer's machine without seeing it plugged in and running on the customer's premises.

The second was similar, but the customer had managed to bend the pins on a PS2 keyboard in such a way as to get two pins into the same socket.
You have a point - I ripped quite some hair out the day I first encountered that old chestnut.

Sponsored Links
Back