nvidia graphics card problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I have a toshiba satellite p100 laptop, about 6 years old, with a problem. Originally the monitor started flashing off to a black screen about every 45 seconds but when I restarted the computer I then got black screen all the time, with nothing, no messages, boot info, no nothing.
Turns out its a graphics card fault,or so the computer place i took it to for repair says. I tried an external monitor myself and it made no difference.
The computer uses an Nvidia 7600 GO graphics card and it turns out these are not available any more but I have been told by another computer engineer that I can use virtually any card as long as the connections are the same. The card is not part of the board by the way.
Has anyone got any suggestions or info regarding getting a replacement card? It turns out that Toshiba satellite laptops have had quite a problem with these Nvidia cards but Ive had 5 years of trouble free use from this laptop up to now so I'm not complaining, just need to get it sorted.

Thanks for any help,

Chris.

Sponsored Links
Well, it's a 16X PCI Express graphic adaptor, so on the surface, fairly standard.

However, I suspect it will be a proprietory design to fit the chassis. I've not worked on this model, so it would have to be seen to be sure. For example this one is for a Gateway laptop.

Removal is probably a complete stripdown, so it would depend on your ability should you choose to do this. I assume that they have fully reassembled the laptop, replacing the card?

Here is the specification for your model.

Apparently they are prone to heat damage, so replacing with a more powerful card, if available, would not be a good idea.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yes, laptop is reassembled with card in place, i dont think I will attempt this myself,maybe sending off to toshiba might be my best option, dont fancy pc worlds suggestion saying to buy a new laptop, especially when it came from them in the first place...many thanks for you help.

Chris

Back