Making/ Repairing A Small Casement Window For Downstairs Loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've only been doing DIY for about 4 months now so, I'm still very new to this but, have developed a real passion for it. Therefore, I would like to repair the small casement window that is in the downstairs loo room. The window needs a new exterior sill and a piece of timber (parallel to the head) going along the bottom resting on the exterior sill because they have both become completely rotten due to the amount of weathering it's been exposed to over the years. I have been reading a book about replacing windows but it only really mentions removing the old window completely, not repairing parts of it.

So, my question is:

Do you think I should keep the rest of the window in as it is (the rest of it is pretty sound) whilst I replace the sill and the other bit or shall I take the entire window out and then make a new sill, putting the entire window back in as a whole?

Also, just wondered, does anyone make their own windows when it comes to replacing old store cupboard/ downstairs loo windows? How difficult is it and is it possible for a DIY enthusiast? Just wish to know for future reference.

Really appreciate any advice :).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you can remove the whole thing you'll be able to do a much better job.
You'll be able to renovate the whole unit and put it back as good as new.

joe

Thanks Joe. This is very helpful :). I will do this.

Bear in mind that a full window replacement requires your local building controls to get involved, a repair does not.
I no its only a small window but you should be aware.
As for making the hinged casement it would involve some skilled joinery (mortice tenons etc) but the frame i'm sure you could repair to a good standard with a little patience :D .
Repairing the frame and fitting a new opener is classed as a repair fit a new window stay/handle/hinges and it will look great.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input SASHWIZARD :). Yea, I keep thinking that maybe I'm getting overenthusiastic about taking on the difficult tasks. I probably am and don't realise the complexity involved. To me, it's just the case of measure this, saw that etc so maybe I should think twice. However, what I plan on doing is this:

1, Make a note of what materials (such as timber) I will require for the parts to be replaced and then buy these materials from B&Q or Homebase.

2, Measure the old parts and cut the new timber to size ensuring that I have all parts ready to be fitted for when the old frame is removed.

3, Separate the 'opening light window' from it's hinges and remove glass (it's got a crack in it anyway, so I'll definitely be replacing this).

4, Use a cold chisel to remove the surrounding mortar that is holding the window in place.

5, I will attempt to find the fixing lugs and either saw through these with a junior hacksaw or unscrew them; whichever is easiest at the time. However, I will do this step from the inside of the house because apparently, it's easier to repair plaster than brickwork :).

6, I will remove the entire frame from the wall, discarding of the rotten sill in the process. Having the frame out will enable me to make good parts of the frame (such as dents and blemishes) and also I will be able to prime it prior to repainting it. I'll also fix some new glass in too. The only problem is though is that I believe the council fitted these windows at the time the house was built so I think they have probably built the frame around the glass :evil:; not a clever thing to do.

7, Once everything is dry, I can put the window back into the wall using a spirit level at frequent intervals to maintain it's straightness. Then, I will replaster from the inside (read how to do this in the book) and remortar the outside and add finishing touches by fitting a new window lock etc. and all should be nice and new :). Oh and I will paint the putty in 1 month when it's fully dry ;).

Sound like a good plan :p? *bites fingernails* I hope the job will run smoothly. I'm really eager to start and can't wait to see the results. Maybe if all runs smoothly I will post some pictures; a before and after if anyone's interested ;).

Thanks!

Sounds like a cunning plan :LOL: get laminated safety/security glass its not going to cost much for a small piece...good luck

get laminated safety/security glass its not going to cost much for a small piece...good luck

Hey I didn't think of that :). Thanks, and I will try my best ;).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back