Casement window profile (Wooden)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’ve been tasked with replacing a couple of damaged casements, on both of them the bottom rail has failed and is rotten and unfortunately it has also affected the styles. I’m going to remove them both and temporarily board the openings while I work out the profile, although one of the window casements is a none opening window so that one is a fairly straight forward affair.

The issue is more to do with the profile of the opening casement.

Sponsored Links
A small joinery shop should be able to help you with this if you take along a sample, or even a cardboard template. Many modern (i.e. post-1930) profiles on top hung and side hung casements are just straight cuts, rebates and bevels and aren't too difficult to reproduce. I doubt that you'll find an off the shelf profile which is suitable

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see any profile being a problem to form from a standard timber section using a router, and if you can do the mortice joint. The biggest issue would be finding/selecting suitable timber.

I'd be more inclined to cut a small section to replicate, and temporarily patch that, rather than board two openings for an indeterminate length of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back