Making your own insulated plasterboard?

AzK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a couple of insulated plasterboards from Wickes a year or so ago and they were £40 each which I thought was expensive as they weren't amazing quality to begin with.

I've needed some more and they have gone up to almost £60.

Considering the quality wasn't that good (the foam backing seemed to easily fall away when cutting the boards to size, I was considering making my own.

Has anyone done this or would they reccomend it? I was thinking to buy a standard plasterboard and then to glue a sheet of eps/xps polystyrene to them and then dot and dab these to the walls.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Mad bonkers ideas aside, polystyrene has the highest thermal conductivity of any available insulation, why would you use that? It's cheap because it isn't very good. All the appropriate adhesives are readily available but it seems a lot of effort for not much gain, have you checked eBay for local insulated PB suppliers? Wickes are not cheap.

Last edited:
Or just dot and dab the insulation to the wall, and seal around the edges, then glue the plasterboard to the insulation.

It's one of the standard ways to do internal wall insulation. It's supposed to be easier than manhandling insulated plasterboard as a single item.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: AzK
Sponsored Links
You can also buy damaged/returned insulation on eBay rather than a local big shed

• Thanks
Reactions: AzK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back