Solid Wall Insulation - Fixing Internal Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has solid brick walls with rendering outside. The rendering is in excellent condition, as it the internal plaster.

I wish to insulate hallway wall as it gets freezing, using Wickes's Knauf XPS insulated plasterboard which has extruded polystyrene insulation. I wish to use this board as it is only 27mm thick and space is very much of the essence.

Can I simply glue this board to the wall using dot and dab, or is it necessary to build a wooden frame on which to attach it?

Thank you.

James.

Sponsored Links
You can use plasterboard foam, but frankly its going to make bugger all difference. You are basically adding 15mm of insulation, have you done what you can to reduce the draught?

If you really want to do it right, take the plaster back to brick and go for 40-50mm XPS plus plasterboard. That will make a massive difference. it will also work out cheaper.

You can do it. I've done it. Then I drylined rather than skimmed.
You can use instastik or similar, plus some actual fixings in case of fire.

But...you don't want to let any of the warm indoor air get behind the insulation boards and condense on your plaster. So check whether the board you want to use has got a vapour barrier sandwiched in it, and then be meticulous in sealing all the edges.

Or, as motorbiking says, hack off the plaster and get more insulation in there. You could still DIY dry line it if you can't afford a plasterer.

Insulation makes an amazing difference to an old property. It changes the atmosphere in a home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back