Makita 18V Platform Thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a promo email through from Screwfix earlier with a deal for a Makita combi with 2nr 5.0ah batteries for £150 and when thinking to myself it’s worth it just for the additional batteries I realised I’m pretty invested in the Makita platform at this point.

So I thought I might make a Makita Cordless 18v thread for any other disciples to discuss tools, tips and give recommendations.

I think my next purchase will be a Makita cordless track saw, I’m only really going down that route as I have batteries and charges already.

Sponsored Links
OK. If you buy a DSP600 you really will need a vacuum and you'll find a twin charger handy. The supplied EfiCut blade is superb, but replacements are expensive and being so thon they are prone to deflection when cutting deep stuff, especially materials like hardwood door lippings. deWalt yellow 24t and 40t blades (as sold by Screwfix) are a much cheaper option and the DW blades seem to survive hitting the odd nail or staple better than any Makita blades I've tried. For flooring and general softwod work the 24t ones are enough and won't kill your batteries as much

That should do you for a starter. Sad to admit it, but I have about 20 18 volt or 2 x 18 volt Makitas... Do I have a problem, doctor?

BTW which drill did you get?

I'm pretty convinced by Makita kit, I've only had one disappointing purchase and that was a corded jigsaw that I probably pushed a bit hard. I don't always go for the cordless option, unless it makes sense. They do take the p*** a bit on pricing because they know you are hooked.

I now have two impact drivers as I wanted the extra 5ah batteries, but when you are working its good to have each set up accordingly. The DHS680Z is also a great saw and I've not needed a track to get perfect straight cuts.

OK. If you buy a DSP600 you really will need a vacuum and you'll find a twin charger handy. The supplied EfiCut blade is superb, but replacements are expensive and being so thon they are prone to deflection when cutting deep stuff, especially materials like hardwood door lippings. deWalt yellow 24t and 40t blades (as sold by Screwfix) are a much cheaper option and the DW blades seem to survive hitting the odd nail or staple better than any Makita blades I've tried. For flooring and general softwod work the 24t ones are enough and won't kill your batteries as much

That should do you for a starter. Sad to admit it, but I have about 20 18 volt or 2 x 18 volt Makitas... Do I have a problem, doctor?

BTW which drill did you get?

It was just a little DHP453 Combi I picked some years ago but it’s never missed a beat and for the price it’s great value.

I ordered a bare Makita 500mm hedge trimmer last week, which arrived this morning and Toolstation have sent me one with a single 5.0ah battery and charger by mistake.

Sponsored Links
I have the twin battery strimmer/brush cutter (DUR368 - two one with the cow horn handles) bought a few months ago to tackle brambles. Brilliant! Can't wait for the buggers to grow back! (Not really)

From the late 1980s onwards I always had a cordless drill/driver, but the few other tools available seemed either ridiculously expensive, stupidly heavy with poor run times (e.g. Bosch 24 volt SDS drills - when I needed one it got hired) or they were completely gutless (every cordless saw and planer around back then). Until 2002 or so we didn't have impact drivers, but when they finally came in at affordable prices they were a great boon. The two biggest improvements, though, were Li-Ion batteries, especially after they got protection circuitry (D-series tools and MakStar batteries - about 5 to 6 years ago), and brushless motors. Combined they have made possible high-power SDS drills able to match some corded tools, reallyb usable circular saws and many other tools which previously were far from great.

Absolutely, in my professional life I've seen it change on site from having a centrally located diesel generator, transformers, long cables trailing for miles connecting to tek guns, recip saws, etc.

Now you wouldn't even consider getting a generator on site for power, everyone uses battery guns and it's intensive day long work. My attraction to Makita is likely due to them being the Tek gun of choice for most people on site for years now.

They are still pretty popular with the wood butchers although DW have made big inroads over the last 3 or 4 years, possibly in part because Makita were too slow to cure battery issues with the earlier (pre-2015) tools, maybe in part because Makita have been so slow getting true cordless nailers and lasers onto the market and still aren't there (DW aced them on both counts, Hitachi/Hikoki have on the nailers). I went DW 1st gen to DW 2nd gen to Hikoki 18 volt in that period waiting for Makita to pull their finger out. They were also slow to react to the trends for high capacity 18 volt batteries and higher voltage batteries (e.g DW Flex volt 18/54 volt, Hikoki 18/36 volt, etc) which hasn't helped them. Against that I am almost welded at the fingers to my DHS680 circular saw and the DHS680 plunge saw more or less displaced my Festool TS55 when I got it, so still happy with the 18 volt stuff

Highly recommend the twin 18 volt blower Dub 362z, incredibly powerful at the highest setting i.e will shift piles of wet leaves - and rated by the professional landscapers etc who use it.

Blup

Andy!
The reason Bosch don't make car chargers is that there new generation batteries will last all day. I can cut a new Velux skylight in a concrete tiled roof with one battery...

This is not an 18v tool but I'm seriously tempted to purchase one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-LS0815FLN-Slide-Compound-Mitre/dp/B07RGVT2RZ/ref=sr_1_19?crid=14NAJ3YO3IZG7&keywords=mitre+saw&qid=1646827103&refinements=p_36:15000-30000,p_89:Bosch|Bosch+Professional|DEWALT|Einhell|Festool|HIKOKI|Makita|Milwaukee|RYOBI,p_n_condition-type:12319067031&rnid=12319066031&s=diy&sprefix=mitre+saw,diy,145&sr=1-19

51KMFAQn9eL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Any owners with experience who can give advice or recommendations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back