Makita 8444 18V MXT Drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have an addiction to new tools at the moment! :LOL:

Well I bought a Makita 8390 18V the other day:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/77831/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Makita-8390-DWPE3-Combi-Drill-18V

Been using it a while now and seems to be up to the job, just one thing that bothers me is the slower higher gear. I would like it to be a bit more especially after trying to drill into some brick the other day. Also cutting holes with it could do with a bit more torque...

Anyway I digress... I was wondering what could be a good upgrade to the drill I already have and came across this gem:

Makita 8444 18V
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75772/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Makita-8444-DZ-MXT-Combi-Drill-18V

Now this seems to tick all my relevant boxes, 3rd gear with higher rpm and more torque to boot! 80nm in fact! Brilliant. Now this can be had off the bay for a mere £70 for the bare drill. And I could sell my bare drill for about £30-40 and make up some of the difference. So for say £30-40 I could get a nice upgrade! I'm 99% sure my PA18V batts will fit, the only worry is battery life might be reduced being it only 1.3Ah NiCds...

What you reckon is the drill worth upgrading for? Anyone got one?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you do realise the greatest torque is in low gear the higher the gear the lower the torque

could make either drill provide several thousand nm of torque with mechanical gearing but very very slow revs

Yeah I do realise that it just seemed like a worthwhile upgrade, with the higher 3rd gear and more low down torque, would be useful for driving too even though an Impact drill will be my next purchase. Also not sure what the significance of the MXT is?

Well I bought one! :cool:

Man this drill is one serious bit of kit! The extra torque is very nice. I just drilled out a 36mm hole in some 2" timber with ease, and still had quite a bit of juice left in my 1.3Ah batts. my other 8390 drill struggled with it.

Extremely happy with this purchase, however it is a little bit heavier at 2.7KG, but for heavy drilling this is perfect.

I might just keep the other drill as a backup now.

Also the MXT means Makita Xtra Torque, it sure does that!
http://www.makitauk.com/index.php?page=75

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'm getting some 3.0Ah batts these 1.3 ones are way too wimpy. Also is the chuck meant to have about 5mm slack in the spindle lock position? Mine turns like 5mm clockwise and anticlockwise just wondering if that is normal? My other Makita has no slack whatsoever. When you are drilling and you stop the chuck spins like 5 mm and makes a little clonk noise, i just feel over time it might knacker the drill...

Hi, just a wee note about the batteries. make sure you get genuine Makita batteries and not the copy ones on ebay as i've bought them before and the clips eventually stop working and your battery will fall out :mad:

Yeah I'm getting some 3.0Ah batts these 1.3 ones are way too wimpy. Also is the chuck meant to have about 5mm slack in the spindle lock position? Mine turns like 5mm clockwise and anticlockwise just wondering if that is normal? My other Makita has no slack whatsoever. When you are drilling and you stop the chuck spins like 5 mm and makes a little clonk noise, i just feel over time it might knacker the drill...
Mine is exactly the same and has been working beautifully for over 2 years so I wouldn't worry about it. Probably a feature of the electric brake.

OK great thought it was just mine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back