Makita 18V torque setting issue...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picked one of these up a few days ago and is a very nice bit of kit:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/77831/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Makita-8390-DWPE3-Combi-Drill-18V

Been using it a while now and the only thing bugging me is the highest torque setting for driving is 16 and it just seems to cut in too early. I can hold the chuck and the clutch will kick in, be it with a strong grip. I just find this a little weak for some of the driving I was doing. I could easily get another turn or two with a manual screw driver.

Anyone else come across this? I'm reluctant to use the drilling gear for driving just in case I knacker the drill in the long term...

Could I possibly have a duffer?

Cheers[/wiki]

Sponsored Links
i only use torque settings for things like hole saws where my wrists are at danger

i use feel and release the trigger and let the momentum do the last bit of tightening

what size of screws are you having trouble with!!!!

i always use the drilling gear for straight forward screwing, and step it down to low drive on more careful screwing......ohh eerrr missus....just getting them in before anyone else!

I hardly ever use torque setting on mine. Only for delicate opperation, like screwing into the edge of mdf or assembling flat pack furniture.

Put it in low gear for slower speed, but youll get more torque ;)

Sponsored Links
Hmmm I thought as much, will just risk it with the drilling gear and feel. Well if the worst comes to the worst I'll just pick up a new motor and gear assembly if it does go pop! :LOL:

Just never had this problem with my other drills, oh well. Also I was screwing in some small hex bolts with the drill, probably not a good idea with this drill, may need to invest in an impact drill for that, that's why i was using the torque setting so it didn't break my wrist!

Cheers

If you put in a lot of big screws and bolts, id defiantly think about an impact driver :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back