Makita Drill just stopped working...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my Makita hr2470 hammer drill recently just packed in. Upon inspection, brushes, switch and armature (new one) are all fine. There is power going to all of these however nothing at all is happening. It doesn't attempt to do anything. Could this be in need of a new field magnet?!? As I've stated the armature is new and other than the brushes and switch which is fine I'm struggling to see what else could be the problem. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks...

Sponsored Links
If you've ascertained that the 2 pole switch is working (power getting to it and leaving it) then it does sound like the field windings are goosed if the armature is new.....any burning smell in there?
John :)

Thanks for the response John, yes there's power either side of the switch when the switch is pressed, release it and nothing so I'm pretty certain it's not the switch. The drill just stopped the other day. Initially I thought it was the armature so got a new one and replaced it (today). When it cut out there was no burning smell like usual when they 'burn out' and after looking at both parts nothing was damaged/appeared to be amiss. All the wires are secured where they should be and the 4 pieces of wire from the connections to the field are intact, therefore power to it but nothing's happening.... Is there anything to look for/check if its definitely the field?!? Cheers - Mark 😀

when things stop dead its normally a good thing
its usually a break in a wire or other simple cause like a fuse or indeed switch

windings and brushes tend to play up before failing

Sponsored Links
That's what I'd usually think as well mate but i've checked all the wiring etc for breaks/loose connections and there's power to all necessary parts (brushes, field, armature) and nothing's happening. Brushes are like new and armature is new.

my thoughts are you've missed something or got a reading and attributed it to the wrong mode

are you using the mains or the meter inbuilt battery to test to check continuity ??

there must be a break in the circuit somewhere otherwise it would hum
is there electronic speed control and have you checked it

Is there a break in the neutral where it enters the drill? Or the plug at the socket? Have you done an ohms test across the plug? I've seen a miswired plug and a blown fuse before now.

Hi, after another look at it this evening after work it showed continuity throughout it but still appeared to be dead so I decided I'd take it all to bits, all wires/parts out and then reassemble, what's the worst that could have happened I thought and hey presto!!! The old girl's back in action spinning like new. Result. Thanks for all the input though guys. Much appreciated.

This thead is old, but I am writing to confirm this. Had the same symptoms, quick disassembly and reassembly fixed it. A polystyrene flake must have gotten inside.
Don't make my mistake, do not open the locking button, otherwise the spring will fly away and never be found again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back