Makita Drill Keeps Sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have owned one of these for the last 3 years but not used too extensively. Unfortunately, it's developed a fault where the trigger button sticks when fully pressed. It either needs to be pulled out or most commonly, I remove the battery to bring it to a halt

upload_2019-9-8_21-12-23.png

Can someone please suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think it was an attempt at humour that failed (not helped by a typo)

I'd start with some silicone spray. Often frees up these sort of things. Easy to try and won't hurt. After that you are into opening it up. The switch can buy bought separately and is pretty easy to replace if all else fails. They can be little fiddly to put back together without pinching a wire but its an easy diy job.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @nickjb. That's very helpful.
I've since had a scour of the net and Youtube and it appears that I need part number 650731-7 and this costs around £30. It seems reasonably straight forward to replace.

However, is this a good choice of action given that a new drill seems to cost £43.99
https://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/maki...v-dji2qnwGwz-T_xOe-jSeOsX1dgUBmRoCV6cQAvD_BwE

I assume I get a new warranty with the above and of course, it's a new unit.

Thanks again @nickjb. Can I squirt this through the voids next to the button? i.e. without opening the unit
Also, can I use 3-in-1 oil as I have that in the shed?

Just squirt it in. It's much better than 3 in 1 for this. It'll penetrate better and with oil based lube you risk swelling anything plastic (only a tiny bit but that obviously won't help in this case) and it'll eventually pick up dirt and form a gummy mess. Silicone spray should just put a very light slippy surface on it. Its pretty readily available in Wilkos and often other Bargain World type shops, or screwfix as I linked to.

Not expecting the worst...
But if this doesn't fix it, can a pay a bit more and get something better than what I had? I have a separate impact driver and use this for drilling (also have an SDS for heavy duty use) and gentler screwing. I must say it wasn't very good at masonry drilling. I would welcome any suggestions so I can start planning as I need an operational drill for the weekend.

I've had some progress since starting this thread...
Makita have said they will repair this as part of my warranty. I didn't ask too many additional questions!

It's going back tomorrow for some TLC :)

In the meantime, I need to punch some holes in joists to pass cables (would have used the spade connectors on my combi drill). Can I use my Bosch SDS or impact Driver in some creative way to accomplish this please?

I think it was an attempt at humour that failed (not helped by a typo)

I'd start with some silicone spray. Often frees up these sort of things. Easy to try and won't hurt. After that you are into opening it up. The switch can buy bought separately and is pretty easy to replace if all else fails. They can be little fiddly to put back together without pinching a wire but its an easy diy job.

Balls ... disappointing, not gonna correct it now.

I will look into the cost of hiring a combo drill for the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back