Malcolm McLaren dies aged 64

Don't deny that he will have a place in music/fashion history but the beauty of this life is that we all think/feel differently about things and he and punk did absolutely nothing for me.
As you say, 61 is a young age to die but thats what happens to a lot of people no matter what you or I may think of them.
A friend of my wife spent from her early teens till her death at 41 from heart failure looking after her incapacitated mother. She wasn't famous, a worldwide celebrity, a life changer but to us she was far above these 'celebrities' who achieve 'iconic' status because of what they do in the eyes of the public.

Its an entirely different thing, and you can hardly compare the two...........

Sponsored Links
Don't deny that he will have a place in music/fashion history but the beauty of this life is that we all think/feel differently about things and he and punk did absolutely nothing for me.
As you say, 61 is a young age to die but thats what happens to a lot of people no matter what you or I may think of them.
A friend of my wife spent from her early teens till her death at 41 from heart failure looking after her incapacitated mother. She wasn't famous, a worldwide celebrity, a life changer but to us she was far above these 'celebrities' who achieve 'iconic' status because of what they do in the eyes of the public.

Its an entirely different thing, and you can hardly compare the two...........

Which proves my point;

[/quote]that we all think/feel differently about things

Sponsored Links
Being one of those who were actually 'around' back then he 'stood' for the showbiz end of the market. Sure the SP's were a good band (actually far better than given credit for) but they were too much like a business. So I personally didn't like the fact that he drove it from a financial end rather than anything else..Hiring a boat down the Thames -how punk is that ferchristaskes! :rolleyes:

However even in mid 1977 I remember seeing the Clash and standing outside after the gig trying to cadge a lift from Joe Strummer back and him saying "Sorry mate can't do" as he jumped into his managers car with the personalized number plate CLA5H and then in -the so called early day's- the penny dropped...

Still it didn't bother me too much as we just went for the smaller bands who did actually believe in it (whatever it was....) but by late 78'early 1979 everyone knew it was well and truly over and we all moved on..

So did I like him -not particulary.
Did he start the Punk movement: not really
Did he publicize the movement: very much
Did he exploit kids for profit: yes
Will I miss him: no not really

Do I fell sorry for his loved ones': I guess but as I don't know them it's crocodile tears..

Umm the music business has always been about making money and exploitation, theres isnt a manager or A&R man who isnt in it for anything else, so in that Malcolm MclAren was no different. However, he was the first to recognise the new direction pop culture and gone in, as was Vivian Westwood, and the first to invest in those bands and fashions

You can debate if had they not done that someone else may or may not, but the fact is that pioneers are the people who spot an opportunity everyone else has missed, be it John Trevithic, Quentin Tarantino, or Malcolm Maclaren.

Lets not also forget that apart from Punk, Duck Rock introduced Hip Hop to the UK, and he managed Adam and the Ants, another genre leading band.

You cant deny the guy and his wife were influential. Look at any photo of Johnny Rotten at the time, he will be wearing a Vivien Westwood T shirt, faithfully copied by punk fans the world over.

Hiring a boat down the Thames -how punk is that ferchristaskes! :rolleyes:

A sinking boat would've been fairly punk. :LOL: :LOL:

Don't you think it slightly contradictory that you can criticise musicians for promoting their music in order to sell records and make money, whilst you run a business (hopefully) making a profit and end up paying your taxes to the establishment.
I think the punk thing has been read into far too much, to me it's about an attitude and in many ways it's also about contradiction*, but there are no 'rules'.

*I guess that makes you a true punk then! ;)

Don't you think it slightly contradictory that you can criticise musicians for promoting their music in order to sell records and make money, whilst you run a business (hopefully) making a profit and end up paying your taxes to the establishment.
I think the punk thing has been read into far too much, to me it's about an attitude and in many ways it's also about contradiction*, but there are no 'rules'.

*I guess that makes you a true punk then! ;)

If you are about promoting a anti estabilshment and anti capitailsim theme do you not think it's slightly contradictory that he was all about the money and ripping off kids?

Oh and BTW no one I knew could ever actually afford to buy anything from Seditionaries or SEX as it was a shop for art school posh kids with a weekly allowance so they could be a weekend punk.

Sorry whilst I believe they were a great band I don't have to like da management, :LOL:

didn't one Richard Branson begin his career as a producer?

music has always been divided between artistic creativity and earning a crust. or a whole bakery.
i personally thought the pistols were untalented and musically incompetent, but maybe their gigs were a blast. don't know as i never saw them. new wave and punk certainly gave us some new talent, some good, some bad, but a change from the formulaic pap being drip fed through Radio 1.

Sponsored Links
Back