Manhole covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the build of my kitchan extension Thames Water required that I build manhole with an internal opening 700 X 900 (it seems excessive fom for a domestic waster water run).

I am left with the hole open and would like to know what sort of manhole cover I need. I know the standard is 600 X 450 but that is not going to rest on the sides.

Do I use plinths?

Any information on how I tackle this would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
amatureleccy said:
Thames Water required that I build manhole with an internal opening 700 X 900 (it seems excessive fom for a domestic waster water run).
It does but I think you need to ask the Thames Water why ?
I am left with the hole open and would like to know what sort of manhole cover I need. I know the standard is 600 X 450 but that is not going to rest on the sides.
So are you saying you already have the manhole at 700 x 900 ?

Yes, the manhole is fully operational with a plywoood board temporarilly covering it.

The nearest I can find is 900mm x 900mm which have to be heavy duty type because of the span,See this. or go down to your builder merchant who maybe able to order one for you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Masona.

I am waiting on my builder to get a price for one.

It will be useful to compare his offering to the one you found.

As this is going to be positioned just outside that back door, the more discrete the better so I am thinking of one of those things you can put bricks or gravel on.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back