Manhole Purely for Next Door's Drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im considering a side extension and currently going through the early stages of getting drawings done. In advance of having someone round, they have asked me to locate any drains on my property.

We have a manhole cover at the side where the extension would be built over and ive just taken the cover off in readiness. However, it appears that it only serves next door and not mine as the pipe heading read is a dead end.

What will actually happen here? As a minimum, build over request with the water board and a nice (not) manhole cover inside the nice new build part so that it can still be accessed?

Worst case, as above but also the complete reroute of the pipework?

All of which will be costly to me for a drain that technically isnt even mine. How sh*t is that! Literally. Surely it cant even be classed as shared either?! I have a drainage system on my property that doesnt even support my house.

Sponsored Links
As it serves only one property it is a private sewer and the water company has no jurisdiction. Whatneeds to be done will have to be avreed with the other householder with possible input from the planning department. Heaven forbid solicitor input may be required, best checkout your deeds

As it serves only one property it is a private sewer and the water company has no jurisdiction.
It serves only one property but it conveys waste from that property across the boundary and onto ( under ) property owned by Adzlp. The pipe from the boundary to the public sewer will in 99% of cases be the responsibility of the water company,

Might only serve one property, but from the point it passes the Boundary onto your property, it becomes the Water Company's responsibility. Unfortunately for you, drains are laid to the convenience of the Builder/Architect taking in to account the requirements of the site at the time of design and/or building.

You will need to speak to your Water Co. and see what can be done, but my suspicion is they'll want it diverting to outside the footprint of your extension.

Sponsored Links
Non of adzp drains go into the private drain therefore it is still a private drain whist in his property and not the water companies.

Non of adzp drains go into the private drain therefore it is still a private drain whist in his property and not the water companies.
Not true. Neighbour is responsible for pipe up to his boundary, water company is responsible from neighbours boundary onwards under OPs garden. Or that's my take from the nice video Thames Water did (the terraced one- the drain from house 1 is still under your theory a private drain til it hits the manhole in house 2s garden and becomes shared. Water co are in fact responsible for house 1s drain from where it crosses the boundary to house 2, even though it is not a shared drain at that point).
It thus follows that OPs problem manhole/pipe is 'owned' by water co & so notification to them is required.

If it becomes a shared drain at MH 1 I would agree but if adzap does not use it how can it be considered to be shared. No doubt the water company will set adzyp right and he will hopefully debrief us on the eventual outcome.

Being shared or not is irrelevant. The point is there is a drain carrying waste over the boundary that eventually ends up in the main sewer. Therefore the drain belongs to the water company from where it crosses the boundary.

Hi adzyp,

Just wondering if you had any update on this, currently having the same problem!

You are entirely in the Hands of the Water Company I am afraid. It is their asset, (regardless of what anyone else thinks...), and they alone can tell you what they want to see done with it.

Speaking to someone the other day, an entire extension they were quoting for build for a Customer has just been shelved, as the cost of diverting the drainage to the Water Company's specification would have cost as much as the rest of the works put together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back