manrose extractor fan problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
My old timer bathroom extractor fan died, I could see burn mark on the circuit board. I bought a new one and wired it up brown- live, blue - neutral and black - switch live. But it doesn't work when I put the mains electricity/ bathroom light back on. i've tested the wire with a voltage testing screwdriver and it lights up. Any ideas?
It would be gratefully appreciated.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Your screwdriver is only giving you half the info you need(if that). You need to get a multi meter & test live & switched live to earth & neutral before you can be sure your supplies are ok.

Hi
thanks for the comment, but I still don't know what to do to fix the problem.... the wires are on the same circuit as the bathroom light and that still works. (the old fan was a timer model - it would turn on with the light switch, and then when the light was turned off the switch/live wire would power the fan for a set amount of time.

Have you checked the cores of the flex to ensure that they are what you think they are?

Sponsored Links
I have'nt checked the cores, all i saw was copper wire within the coloured sheathed, unless I'm missing something ?

As was said above, first check your flex, with a multi-meter, to establish if there is a permanant live, switched live, earth & neutral. If there is, then read instructions again to ensure you connected it correctly (and bought the correct fan). The reason I say this is because some fans are 2 speed depending on which terminal you connect it to. Give us the model as that might help.

For safety switch off at the mains and fit a chocbloc to each of the cores before testing. DO NOT leave with tape on.

I've given up looking on Manrose's site for instructions. Looks like water has done some damage in your pic. Are the connections to this cable accessible? I would inspect these, but turn power off at Consumer Unit (fusebox) before you go sticking your hand in ceiling/wall voids.

yes i think what happened to the previous fan was that water built up in the inside it, which reached the wiring/timer circuit causing it to burn out.
I've gone into the attic to see where these wires come from: they appear out of a metal pipe which disapears off into the roofing. I've been unable to figure out where this pipe ends up.

right, thanks all for previous comments. I checked the wires with a multimeter and i have the fan wired up as follows:
Blue - Neutral
Black - Switch Live
Brown - Permananet live
the fan now works but only on it's timer circuit when i turn the bathroom light off. It's supposed to turn on when i turn the bathroom light on.
I've tried switching the black and brown wires but it gives the same result.
Any ideas?

yes i think what happened to the previous fan was that water built up in the inside it, which reached the wiring/timer circuit causing it to burn out.
I've gone into the attic to see where these wires come from: they appear out of a metal pipe which disapears off into the roofing.
It looks like the ducting for the fan goes up into the roof space as well.

It's highly likely that the water in the fan was from condensation occurring in the ducting which then ran down it.

Unless you make sure that the ducting is properly insulated, and/or properly routed with a condensation trap, exactly the same thing will happen with your new fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back