Manrose fan (switch off)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, ive installed a manrose fan with inputs: live, live switched and neutral wires. I looked at other posts to help with that, thank you! I connected the live and live switch via an extra small cable (see thumbnail). While the fan is working, spinning, i am now struggling to make it switch off. There is a little button where you can move the timer times, but none result in the fan turning off.

Note i have the typical live, neutral and earth (not connected) wires. With the live connector moving from live to live switch, is this just not going to work? Should i give up and return the fan, or is there a further solution?

The older version of a fan never worked and was not here when i moved in.

IMG_0095.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Ok, so this has been wired wrong, basically you've taken the live in and linked to switch live with no separation (switch), so this is why it won't turn off. Is this fed via a switch, lighting circuit or other?

Lighting circuit, with a light switch (obvs). Is it best to exchange for a simpler fan?

Is it best to exchange for a simpler fan?
No, it will do exactly the same.
It's wired to permanent line, so will run permanently.

What is the yellow wire connected to? That may be the switched line that is required.
The other end should be at the light, or the switch.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Lighting circuit, with a light switch (obvs). Is it best to exchange for a simpler fan?

Is it in a bathroom?

Does it have a 4 inch (100mm) duct going straight through the wall, or following a longer route?

Can you get at the lighting ceiling rose from above, for example in a loft?

Im assuming that yellow is earthed, but wait! I checked with a voltage detector, and actually theres a weak signal coming from the yellow wire. So, i placed into the live switch connector, and hey presto… a working fan that turns off. Thank you for the prompting questions, consider this query solved :)

• Thanks
Im assuming that yellow is earthed,
That was silly (and dangerous). Don't do that again.

Hello, ive installed a manrose fan with inputs: live, live switched and neutral wires.
The fan has those inputs but connecting random wires with other functions does not make them change.

I looked at other posts to help with that,
Did none of them have the yellow wire connected?

thank you! I connected the live and live switch via an extra small cable (see thumbnail). While the fan is working, spinning, i am now struggling to make it switch off. There is a little button where you can move the timer times, but none result in the fan turning off.

Note i have the typical live, neutral and earth (not connected) wires. With the live connector moving from live to live switch, is this just not going to work? Should i give up and return the fan, or is there a further solution?
Just because a terminal is marked for connecting a switched live, a permanent live connected to it does not magically become a switched live.

I hope this helps in the future.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back