Manual Transmission area clunking noise, Peugeot 208 2014

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just passed my test and bought my first car from a private dealer. Within a few days, I heard a loud dry dragging alike noise from the manual transmission area. The noise only occurs when the car is starting off at 1st/2nd gears when accerlating hard. (I guess the transmission is at high torque) And it will disappear once the car reach some speed. I was wondering what are the potential cause for this issue.

I was wondering it might be the clutch needs changing cuz the biting point is quite high or maybe it implies some problem with the actual transmission?

The car is a 2014 petrol peugout 208 done 60,000 miles.

Thank you all very much!

Sponsored Links
Private seller do you mean or car trader?
If its the latter id take it back and ask them to resolve it, if the former your on your own im afraid.
Very difficult to guess at a fault like this but i wish you luck.

The only thing that drags is the clutch. Should sound like dragging something on sandpaper. You might want to consider not driving like a race car driver. They have cameras everywhere and might sent an agent your way. Then it's fine and points.

Difficult to diagnose from that.

Does it do all the time in 1st and 2nd, or only when accelerating "hard" ?

Sponsored Links
Not wishing to sound patronising here, but can you get an experienced driver to check for a slipping clutch?
Normally this manifests itself when trying to accelerate in the higher gears or up hill but to be fair there isn't usually noise involved.
Perhaps there isn't any friction material left on the clutch friction plate......this can account for a peculiar clutch pedal feel.
John :)

Thank you so much for all your replies. I highly appreciate all of them. There are a few points I would like to make towards this issue:

1. Towards accerlerating hard, what I meant was when pulling out to a busy roundabout or starting off at a traffic light. I am trying to be a safe driver, so won't be driving on the road as on a race track. So, I think it is definitely some problem with the car.
2. I doubt I can take the car back to the dealer as we have agreed that the car is sold as seen. Knoked down a bit of price but definitely a lesson to learn if there is anything major.
3. I will get a senior driver or a garage involved and will keep everyone updated.

Because it is my first time driving and maintaining a car, I think it might be better if I have some knowledge prior contacting a garage as I heard some rumors about a minority of garages sometimes not honest on the problems. So, any suggestion would be valued!

Get someone to check out the driveshafts Joey.......they have been known to clank, especially when taking a tight corner.
We will be interested to hear the outcome!
Be lucky
John :)

Thanks for all replies. I have indeed checked potential youtube videos but surprisingly none of them match the syptoms of my car. Just to re-cap the car has a loud clunking noise a bit like dragging some heavy furniture legs on a rough asphalt rough drive. I am pretty sure they are from the transmission and clutch areas NOT the tie rods or the chassis. And this only happens when starting off (half clutch to full clutch) on first or second gear. The car feels very fine with the driving afterwards.

If you have any potential ideas, please share your experience. Also, if possible, can I ask a reasonable potential price range for a clutch change and a transmission overhaul respectively?

Thank you all very much again.

Tie rods don’t cause issues like yours, Joey.......have the driveshafts been checked at all?
I’d be heaving them up and down at the gearbox end, and twisting them checking for any play.
Are the driveshaft nuts tight, and are the CV joints leaking grease?
Gearbox rebuilds aren’t economically viable, an exchange box is the way to go - if it’s needed!
So long as it doesn’t jump out of gear, that’s a good sign.
Clutch change? Four hours labour, clutch kit £140.
( I don’t think this car has a dual mass flywheel......does anyone know for sure?)
John

You need to take it to a local independent garage (ask family or friends for a recommendation) to have the fault diagnosed and repaired. Unless you're fixing it yourself a home made diagnosis is pointless and potentially dangerous - if you decide it's a transmission fault and instruct the garage (for example) to overhaul the gearbox they may well take your money to do this and return the car with the fault still present.

I don't know who you bought it from but you may have rights under the sale of goods act unless it was a trade sale/sold as having serious faults. Unless you signed some kind of disclaimer I don't think they can get away with "sold as seen" because you got a discount.

Sponsored Links
Back