Rover Tapping Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Ive search high & low to find an answer and have not yet succeeded, hopefully someon can help me here.

I drive a M Reg Rover 214sei 1.4i

The car is wonderful, but ever since i had a new clutch fitted ive been having this clicking noise coming from the engine.

It sounds like something is loose and banging against another piece of metal.

When i put the car into 1st gear and then get into biting point the rattling/clicking noise is very loud, and annoying.

I get the noise in all of my gears apart from reverse.

I've had my mechanic out to look at it but he doesn;t know what it is, and im slightly concerned if something is loose, what if it falls off, or worse what if my engine breaks due to it.

Since its happened since i had a new clutch fitted i believe it could be somewhere around that area?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you considered a broken clutch release bearing? Was this changed with the clutch?
Likewise was the clutch spring changed (a cheap repair may have only had the friction plate replaced)?

If one of the springs was broken on reassembly and is rattling around between the spring and friction plate (or plate and flywheel) it would only be noisy when the clutch pedal was depressed, though it won't take long for it to wreck the new plate or flywheel. Also the engine would be badly unbalanced, causing vibration.

If the broken bit (or a loose bolt) was floating around the housing it will sooner or later find its way into the starter motor area, and that's when it'll break something serously.

It looks like the clutch will have to be removed for inspection and rectification.

Hi,

thanks for your reply i will ask my mechanic to look at what u have said above.

I will update this post as it goes along.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Listey said:
Hi,

thanks for your reply i will ask my mechanic to look at what u have said above.

I will update this post as it goes along.

Cheers

Hi ok this is whats happenign with the rattling noise...

the Rattling noise my car is having, its basically that some rubber pads have worn and its making a squeeking noise, nothing to worry about, i will prolly get that done next month.

Nothing to do with the clutch, engine, gearbox. All my paranoya is over thanks for that.

Back