Clicking/ticking noise alternator area Fiat Stilo JTD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've had this problem since i had a new engine fitted in my FIAT STILO 1.9JTD. It's a ticking/clicking noise that is present when the engine is started and goes away when revs are increased. I've had a new crank pulley, clutch pulley and 3 alternator belts. All the new parts fixed the problem for about a week or so but the noise gradually comes back. I've got no idea what to look for. The mechanic i'm dealing with says that the belt is losing tension thus resulting in this noise. One of the belts did get quite loose and started to squeak which was sorted with another new belt but the noise came back. Like i said earlier this is a new (well to me) engine and i never had this problem with my last engine. I've had the alternator tested and apparently is fine but the noise wan't present at that time. I've also made a video of the noise which is here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbekrVOe3w The last new part that was fitted was a new crank pulley last Thursday and all has been well until this morning when i started the car and a heard the first early signs of the noise coming back. It will now (again!) get worse similar to how it is in the video.

What else could it be possibly be? It's got to be from the alternator area as new parts have fixed it. So, its had a new crank pulley, clutch pulley and 3 alternator belts!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

Sponsored Links
Put the tensioner pulley from your old motor on the new one, see how that goes? Sometimes if the tensioner pulley has high mileage it can cause noise. Have you alignment issues, all the pulleys inline?

Surely the belts should stay tight until they are replaced?

It takes quite a bit to run those high output alternators, especially on a diesel.

Put the tensioner pulley from your old motor on the new one, see how that goes? Sometimes if the tensioner pulley has high mileage it can cause noise. Have you alignment issues, all the pulleys inline?

Surely the belts should stay tight until they are replaced?

It takes quite a bit to run those high output alternators, especially on a diesel.

Thanks for your reply.

My car doesn't have a tensioner pulley, its done manually as its not A/C. Only the models with A/C have a tensioner pulley.

Misalignment could be a possibility. If it is how is that fixed?

Thanks, Phil

If the alternator is out of line with the other pulleys then it was put back without the correct bracket/spacer when the engine was changed.

If its manually adjusted, is the adjustment vibrating off, over time allowing the belt to loosen and/or the wear on the belt is so excessive the manual tensioner cant keep the belt tight?

Sponsored Links
Typical squeek from a bearing.

Just run it into the ground and when it breaks chuck the stilo and get another car. Certainly wouldn't waste money replacing engines.

Just run it into the ground and when it breaks chuck the stilo and get another car. Certainly wouldn't waste money replacing engines.

Do you mean a bearing in the actual engine itself? Its alright saying run into the ground and get another car! I can't afford to get another car so i need to look after this one.

Phil

If the noise stops when the alternator drive belt is disconnected, spin the alternator pulley.....if its a free wheeling one, these can make the odd noise.
John :)

if it has the clutch type alternator pulley make sure its working correctly as this can cause all sorts of problems with loading on the belt, ive known a pattern part alternator pulley sieze up in under 6 months.

Do you mean a bearing in the actual engine itself? Its alright saying run into the ground and get another car! I can't afford to get another car so i need to look after this one.

Phil

Yes it will be one of the bearings that one of the pulleys are on.
It will gradually get worse 3-12 months and until it's rattling away and then fail. Could go on longer.

Phil

It will gradually get worse 3-12 months and until it's rattling away and then fail. Could go on longer.

Right, however when a new alternator belt is fitted or a new pulley the noise goes away. Thats why i'm thinking its got to be related to the alternator area. Do you mean a bearing on the actual crank shaft?

Phil

if it has the clutch type alternator pulley make sure its working correctly as this can cause all sorts of problems with loading on the belt, ive known a pattern part alternator pulley sieze up in under 6 months.

I hope its not that, i had a new clutch pulley fitted not so long ago. However it'll be worth getting that checked then.

Phil

Phil

Right, however when a new alternator belt is fitted or a new pulley the noise goes away. Thats why i'm thinking its got to be related to the alternator area. Do you mean a bearing on the actual crank shaft?

Phil

Alternator in a slightly different position due to new belt which will be slightly smaller because it is new. Pressing at a different part of the bearing.
Leave it clicking. Most likely bearing in alternator and will need a new alternator eventually.

Phil

Phil

Alternator in a slightly different position due to new belt which will be slightly smaller because it is new. Pressing at a different part of the bearing.
Leave it clicking. Most likely bearing in alternator and will need a new alternator eventually.

Ah, you mean ALTERNATOR bearing? I'm hoping you don't mean crankshaft bearing which to be honest i find unlikely.

Phil

It could be a bearing in the alternator but when tested with a stethascope the alternator was quiet. However the noise wasn't present at that time. I'm confused!

Phil

Sponsored Links
Back