Rattling/Grinding Noise When Reversing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wonder if anyone could give me an idea as to what might be the problem(s) I have.

I have Ford Focus, and yesterday drove 110 miles, arrived at the in-laws, parked up and left it. I had to reverse park and there were no issues/noise when doing so.

Went back to the car to set off home a couple of hours later and popped it in reverse, this was fine, however, as soon as I lifted the clutch a rattling/grinding noise could be heard and it is quite loud.

When driving normally, it is fine, changes through the gears no problem, no issues with clutch/gears and no noise.

There is no issue when I actually put it in to reverse only when I start to lift the clutch does the rattling/grinding start. Whilst moving in reverse the noise remains.

Any ideas/diagnosis?

Cheers in advance.
Matt

Sponsored Links
If it only does this in reverse, and not first, lets start with the obvious things like loose exhaust heat shields etc.....there's a chance that a worn engine mount may allow excess engine movement.
Can you detect the area where the sound is coming from?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far.

It's a Petrol, Peter.

I'll have a look later and get the Missus to back the car up with the bonet open so I can have a look too see if I can work out exactly where the noise is. From inside to me it sounds like it's coming the front rather than the rear.

I'm just hoping it's nothing major.

If it had been diesel I would have suspected the DMF but I don't think the petrol model has one.

Peter

Back