Grinding clutch on Saxo X

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another problem with this heap of junk! I put the car into 1st and while letting the clutch out to engage a grinding noise came from the engine area followed by the car juddering slightly but once I let the clutch up and got moving the car drove like normal and then as I went up or down the gearbox it would grind and judder as the clutch engaged and then drive like normal, and I didn`t have any trouble getting it into gear. For the last 3 to 4 months sometimes i`ve had a funny squeaky noise from the clutch area like something was spinning and rubbing somewhere and it just didn`t sound right so I don`t know if its related. Its a Citroen Saxo X 1.1i, 98 S reg. Is this a minor cheap easy to fix problem or expensive?
:confused:

Sponsored Links
First, how many miles has the car done?
It could be just the clutch cable that needs adjusting.

The car has done 70779 miles, and its also had an engine change at some time.

If it has had an engine change it could be any mileage.
First check the clutch cable, if it needs a new one cost around £15.00 Diy
Could be the Release Brg on the clutch, but cheeper in the long run to replace the whole clutch. If it needs a new clutch don't go to a main dealer
it will cost a lot of cash. If you know someone on the side it's not to bad.
Buy your clutch from a Motor Factor, Unipart Automotive/ Partco/ Brown Brs, Then just pay for the cost of the clutch to be fitted.
Regards
Quick Fit

Sponsored Links
So would adjusting the clutch cable stop the grinding noise and the burning smell?

That's the 54,000$ Q....Depends on the other factor, is the clutch on the way out.

I agree with Quick Fit, check cable for smooth operation first,but from your description I would suggest a new clutch kit is needed.sounds like the pressure plate and thrust bearing are badly worn.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well yesterday the clutch finally gave in, pressed the pedal in to change gear and as the pedal went down, GGGGRRRRRRR clunk and it stuck in gear! took it to the garage and he showed me the old clutch after he took it out and a piece of the clutch plate had broken off!
:D

Sponsored Links
Back