marble fireplace surround....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

we would like to remove a marble fireplace surround, pic attached.

how can i remove this without damaging it?

regards

Attachments

• 20190526_143546.jpg
    20190526_143546.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 1,104
Sponsored Links
Those surrounds are sometimes just freestanding. What happens if you try to lift the top section off? Either that or it will be chased into the plaster (doesn't look that way in the photo), in which case just chisel the plaster away.

Last edited:
i have noticed a piece of metal on both sides just behind it.

maybe i should lift it?

i have noticed a piece of metal on both sides just behind it.
Oh maybe it's been screwed to the wall. Presumably the metal straps go under the plaster, so you'll have to chisel that out to reveal the screw.

maybe i should lift it?
It's not very heavy (they're hollow inside) so it'll move if it's going to move. No harm in trying to life one end up a bit. As long as you don't get three of your biggest mates to wrench it off the wall!

Sponsored Links
depends how old it is. Some have lugs (like ears) where it is screwed or nailed to the wall, and these are plastered over.

Some are filled with concrete on the back, and heavy.

if indeed the surround is screw fixed?? try running "slowly" up and down the sides, this will [possibly?] give you a guide as to where the screw fixings are ?

What is the hearth made of? and is the surround resting on the hearth ?

As an aside??? It looks "new" and there are several "modern" hollow plaster fire surrounds, what age is the property?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back