Marble Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, maybe someone can help...

Took the old wooden fire surround out and out fell the (heavy) marble that was around the fireplace (two short slabs and long slab along the top).

When I put in my new oak surround, what is the best material to use to affix the marble back to the wall? Whilst it will in theory be wedged in behind the rebate of the surround, I assume it will also need to be bonded to the wall. In addition should I also use an adhesive round the edge of the marble to bond it to the rebate, if so again, what is the best to use?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I have heard of installers using tile adhesive to fix marble fireplaces together, otherwise I'm sure a generic gap filling adhesive like gripfill would do the trick. You don't mention whether it is a gas/electric/solid fuel fire? If gas or solid fuel you may have to make sure it's completely sealed against the wall to stop exhaust spillage.

I'd be inclined to use a good strong porcelain tile adhesive but you will need to support the marble until the adhesive has fully cured - something like BAL Mosaic fix would probably do the job...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back