Marble back panel (fireplace) installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some help.....have just moved in and are planing on reinstalling the gas fire with a marble back panel and wooden surround after it being fully removed by the original owner (I'll use a gas fitter will do the fire install) however I cant figure out how to secure the marble back panel to the wall - the wall is plasterboard covering breeze block and as such cant imagine any adhesive would be suitable given the weight but then I haven't a clue as to what brackets I could use or even how. Any help greatly received!

Sponsored Links
From what you say I take it this is the originals? That being so could you post some pics??

Its not the original fire place / surround.

The back panel is separate from the surround. The surround fits over the back panel to the wall via hidden angle brackets (screws are secured into the wall and the surround with the angle brackets drop onto the screws).

I had initially thought this would secure the back panel but its simply too heavy and I wouldnt be confident that it would be secure esp with 3 youngsters running around.

Will try an upload a couple of pics

Sponsored Links
The back may have a couple of smallish holes at each side already, or they could be drilled, this would allow you to fix the back back with strong twisted wire into the wall? This was the way fireplaces used to be fixed, even cast iron ones.
Alternatively you could get brackets made up that would fit around the edge of the stone back and be hidden when the surround is in place...pinenot

In my mates bungalow we just stuck it in. Large dollops of "sticky", push the back into place and hold it there while it sets.
In practical terms, the weight is taken by it sitting on the hearth, and it's stood upright. Once the whole surround is fitted, then that will prevent it falling out.

In my flat, there is a wooden surround and marble effect back, both fixed in with double sided foam sticky pads.

Thanks folks, that's helped a lot.

I'm thinking I'll be able to cement/glue (sticky pads thanks simon!) either twisted wire or a couple of plates onto the back of the panel which could then be bolted to the wall. that plus some additional glue/cement and the surround should keep it in place.

Final question! Do I need to remove the laminate flooring for the hearth or could I simply put the marble hearth on top of it?

What's underneath the laminate ? Presumably some form of resilient underlay, then either floor board on joists or a solid floor.
Personally I'd want the hearth to be on the most solid base practical. At my mates, he has a solid floor so we laid some trips of cement and bedded the hearth down on that - it also made it easy to level it on the uneven floor. Not sure what you'd do on a wooden floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back