Marine sealant on a wooden kitchen worktop??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm pretty new to the world of DIY, but having to rapidly learn due to us trying to save as much money as possible on a kitchen renovation.

After much agonising and changing of minds we have decided to go with solid oak worktops. We know they will take more maintenance than laminate, and that's OK, but my partner is convinced the best way to treat them is to apply marine sealant (not varnish). Namely this: http://www.force4.co.uk/8794/Intern...rrer=froogle&gclid=CIK0q-brzbwCFYcSwwodGFgA6Q

Is there a reason why this is not a practical solution to protecting the wood from water etc? I just cannot help but feel that if it was that easy everyone would be doing it!

Sponsored Links
It dries to form a coat which can be damaged with knifes and impact, it is also damaged by heat and can be high maintenance , top oil is a far better product and you won't end up with bits of it in your sandwiches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back