Marley Modern Smooth tiles cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone here can help.
10 years ago I had a complete re roof on my bungalow with Marley modern smooth grey tiles.

A few days ago went in the loft and noticed daylight through the white underfelt sheeting under my tiles.

Went outside had a look and noticed several cracked tiles all cracked vertically down the centre of the tiles.

Finally got the roofer who did the job to visit today and he replaced 6 tiles, and after he went I noticed 2 more which he either damaged by walking on the roof or simply didnt notice them.

So that's 8 cracked tiles on a roof which is 10 years old.

Nobody has ever walked on the roof other than experienced roofer.

Does anyone think this maybe faulty batch of tiles?
Or are these tiles prone to this?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Probably cracked from the day they were laid.
The modern tile is easier to fracture than profiled tiles. Chimney sweeps and aerial riggers used to be the worst culprits.

Thanks for the reply, I must admit to thinking along those lines also, but I know for a fact there was certainly no visible cracks after installation 10 years ago I guess an advantage of a bungalow it's easier for the home owner to check

Hi There

Have marley modern on my extension roof. When i had to re felt it i replaced quite a few cracked ones. They look quite solid but i noticed that they can't take much pressure when flexed a little. If these are in the rows that have been mechanically fixed the slight movement of the roof has probably cracked them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, glad it's not just me then

The tiles they removed before fitting the new marley ones were probably twice as good in hindsight.
They dont make things as well as they used to.

Yes be cheap mass produced now unless you pay thru the nose. I got a slate roof on the house. Going to get it re done with membrane and dry ridge vent. Tiles are cheaper but think i'll pay the extra and have the damaged slates replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back