Marley Roof Tile Discoloration - 5 yr old home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a home - built by Bryant nearly 5 years ago. The current owner has been in dialogue with Marley Eternit over discoloration to the concrete (I think) roof tiles. Dark tiles now have some areas of rather unsightly "whiting".

This "dialogue" started nearly 2 years ago and, according to my solicitor, it's unclear what will happen, by when and whether it's under any form of guarantee or not. I can only thus far assume there's something being lost in the translation between solicitors as it's not terribly complex.

Clearly we want some comfort regarding necessary repairs and no cost to us, a guarantee of a quality repair and minimal inconvenience.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of situation with roof tiles? I'd be surprised that this type of issue would be covered by a guarantee although I'm led to believe some other homes in the estate have received some form of re-coating.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wouldnt waste time about a guarantee i suspect you will be flogging a dead horse.I would not be too concerned if this is the only problem with the property.It may just be a cosmetic problem,may need some tiles replaced.Worse case scenario and i stress "worse" you would replace all the tiles,the felt,laths would be ok,a case of tiles off,tiles on,very simple and wont cost you the life savings.The last scenario is unlikley but without seeing i can only guess.Could the staining be from lead thats not had patination oil applied?is the white area below any lead?

If it is all the tiles underneath the ridge tiles and hip tiles that are stained then i have seen it before, i believe it is called efflorescence and is usually white streaks running down in lines starting from the top of the roof running down.

Its a chemical reaction in the sand/cement that causes it and its only a visual problem.

It can be removed with a stiff brush and diluted brick acid.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that helpful reply.

Actually, the discoloration appears in fairly central areas of the roof in a few sections. I understand the property has had a couple of minor leaks in the past which have been repaired and the problem now is, I suspect, mostly cosmetic.

So, I suppose worse case scenario, we'd be looking at a possible retention from the purchase price of a sum equal to the cost of re-tiling the roof. I've no idea how much this would be on a 5 bed home so would need to get an estimate.

Hopefully I'll be able to resolve matters without such discussion however.

Just noticed the other replies - sorry! Yes, a picture would help. Will see if I can find one online of the problem - it's a pity it's just been removed from the internet last week.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

It def sounds like efflouresence and won't actually casue any harm to the tiles, this will not affect any guarantee as the guarantee is only for wearher-tightness not colour.

As has been said before, a diluted acid wash should clear it, we used to have a contract with Redlands to do exactly this when they had the same issues some years back.

I wonder if anyone is having similar problems, I have been trying to resolve this issue with Marley for 2 years, with many letters, promise of re-coating but no action. The problem is not efflourescence but flaking and peeling of the original coating material of the slate effect tiles. In advance of any work to be undertaken, Marley demands a a disclaimer against any further claim, which seems draconian when I have no indication of the suitability, quality or appearance of their remedial works.

It is near impossible to comment without seeing the problem..just guessing.

Are we talking Eternit Cement fibre slate or one of Marleys concrete tiles?

I'm in the process of buying a home - built by Bryant nearly 5 years ago. The current owner has been in dialogue with Marley Eternit over discoloration to the concrete (I think) roof tiles. Dark tiles now have some areas of rather unsightly "whiting".

This "dialogue" started nearly 2 years ago and, according to my solicitor, it's unclear what will happen, by when and whether it's under any form of guarantee or not. I can only thus far assume there's something being lost in the translation between solicitors as it's not terribly complex.

Clearly we want some comfort regarding necessary repairs and no cost to us, a guarantee of a quality repair and minimal inconvenience.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of situation with roof tiles? I'd be surprised that this type of issue would be covered by a guarantee although I'm led to believe some other homes in the estate have received some form of re-coating.

Thanks.
Hi there i have been having a simular problem with Marley regarding fading tiles , and they refuse to do any thing although they do admit there is a problem with them .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back