Marley Roof Tile Discoloration - 5 yr old home

Hi there i have been having a simular problem with Marley regarding fading tiles , and they refuse to do any thing although they do admit there is a problem with them .
Concrete tiles will fade over time as will just about any coloured product that is constantly exposed to the weather and bleaching sun. They produce tiles and are not miracle workers.

If you want longevity swap for clay tiles.

I'm sure the interest in an old thread is fading too......:cool:

Sponsored Links
the tiles are called Marley Monarch

Hi Aberdeen, I googled and found your comments I have had exactly the same problem. The paint is peeling off in patches. The representative visited 2 years ago and said they would need to re-paint it was a bad batch issue, and he was in the process of writing to me but he was retired off, I then waited for a response as they talked to their insurers and just received a letter today and they say it is just wear and tear. It is not.

Have you had any progress. I intend to take legal action and am looking for other home owners with similar problems

Sponsored Links
I have specified Marley Monarch concrete rooftiles for many years and used them on a conversion of a barn in 1995. These tiles virtually look the same as the day they were laid, but a 4 year old job has the coating flaking off, especially at the edges of the tile, wider and ridge ones. Marley have now washed their hands of it after saying that they were waiting for a weather opportunity to coat them. They should be replaced, not coated, as they have visually degraded to the detriment of the appearance of a new house. I would expect tiles to have a life expectancy of at least 20 years with general fading being acceptable but not flaking at the edges, making the roof look like panda. Leave it for another 4 years and then what? Once the coating has gone, the tile may degrade and fail to do its job without being noticed by the house owner. Are there any developers that have had several houses built with the same problem? Has anyone heard of a civil court action being taken out against Marley Eternit on this matter? If they think that this dog has gone to sleep, they are very wrong.

Same problem here, although Marley Marquess tiles. I live in a new development (built 2003) and all of phase 3 and 4 have been affected.

I went to Marley Contract Services to pick up some new tiles to replace a couple of cracked ones and the guy there mentioned that Marley are going round and recoating loads of roofs.

Based with this information I contacted Marley Eternit to ask to be added to the list. Just today they sent me through a form to fill out. I just hope they come good and add me to the list. At least they sent me a form and didn't dismiss my claim out of hand.

If anyone gets anywhere with their attempts at getting something done then please let us all know.

I have specified Marley Monarch concrete rooftiles for many years and used them on a conversion of a barn in 1995. These tiles virtually look the same as the day they were laid, but a 4 year old job has the coating flaking off, especially at the edges of the tile, wider and ridge ones. Marley have now washed their hands of it after saying that they were waiting for a weather opportunity to coat them..

I agree and want to get as many people together with similar problem. Marley have taken advise from their insurer who will not want to pay out for a duff batch, but when they realise that they will have to start paying legal fees and national press coverage they may change their tune.
I am another dog who will not sleep.

Hi,
I have a house in Argyll, Scotland we re-roofed about 5 years ago with Marley Marquess tiles. After a couple of years the surface of some tiles, started to peel away in the corners, revealing a lighter coloured, sub-layer. Since then this has spread to most of the roof. In wet weather it doesn't look too bad, but when the roof is dry its a real patchwork. We contacted Marley, we filled in a form, they came out to assess the roof, and we have just received a letter from them stating that the "discolouration" is due to "natural weathering".
We're obviously not happy with the response as it it not a simple discolouration of the surface, the actual surface is peeling away, and every year it get worse.
I also have spare tiles, still stacked in tied bundles, these are also going the same way, without being affected by the weather....
There is another house with the same tiles close by, built a few years before we did our roof, its much much worse, so we can see what is going to happen to our roof.

I'm after my money back or replacement tiles, but don't know how to proceed, and am happy to get involved in any class action if anyone else is up for it..

I also have some stacked by the side of the house that have never seen the weather. They too are peeling away.

Here's a photo of the back of my house. It rained the day before I took the picture, so the problem doesn't look at its worst. Nevertheless, zoom in and you can see it isn't normal "weathering".

I have talked to Marley today following my letter stating that it is wear and tear, and they suggested I write expressing my concerns. I will do stating that I need a response within the next 21 days, so far it has gone on nearly 2 years. I will state that I am in contact with other people who have the same problem and if I am not satisfied with their response I will look at taking group action. I suggest you do the same thing. It is my understanding that before we go legal we need to give them every opportunity to compensate us for the poor batch of tiles they supplied. If you want to contact me my email address is [email protected]

The Marquess roof tiles in this house (and another 9 houses in the same estate) were erected in 2003. By 2008 they were beginning to peel and show the concrete underneath. I wrote a complaint back in August 2009. A form was sent for me to fill in. Nothing more happened until a Site Services Manager appeared in spring 2010 and took pics of the roofs affected. He told us to make sure that any painting needed at dormer windows should be completed before the scaffolding would arrive and the roof would be recoated - by Marley. Nothing more was to be heard after that.

When I tried to contact him in the summer I was told he had left the company but that a replacement would soon join. I managed to have several phone calls with this guy who quite clearly was dodging any commitment. To cut a long story short I got a most arrogantly worded letter last week from Marley's National Business Manager pronouncing that their investigation had been completed, that the Marquess tiles are showing signs of weathering (after 5 years!) but that there was no functional impairment. There was a screed about BSI EN 490 "Concrete roofing etc." and then at the very end of the letter was stated that in the view of the company "we do not believe there is a requirement for any remedial works and your enquiry will now be closed".

What do you think of that?

To cut a long story short I got a most arrogantly worded letter last week from Marley's National Business Manager pronouncing that their investigation had been completed, that the Marquess tiles are showing signs of weathering (after 5 years!) but that there was no functional impairment. There was a screed about BSI EN 490 "Concrete roofing etc." and then at the very end of the letter was stated that in the view of the company "we do not believe there is a requirement for any remedial works and your enquiry will now be closed".

What do you think of that?

Hi Sheskman

Our 6 six year old house is suffering exactly the same loss of the surface coating from its Marley Monarch, definately more than just weathering. One of our neighbours (who has now moved on and unfortunately I don't have contact details for) successfully got Marley to pay for the repainting/surfacing of the roof. I rang them last year and their customer services verbally admitted they had a problem and were going around the country addressing the problem, I just needed to put my name on the the list and they would contact me. They did this and sent an engineer out in January, but I have just received what sounds like exactly the same letter that you have received saying it is weathering and they will be closing my enquiry. It sounds like that have had a change of staff or policy and they are resisting any claims much more than they have previously.

Not sure were to take it from here.

Not sure were to take it from here.[/quote]

Hi John, I suggest you write to them explaining that you do not accept their view and if they do not provide an alternative way forward within a reasonable timescale (2 weeks) you will take further action. I have. If they do not respond I have been advised that we get an expert to confirm our thoughts and if that is positive do a group legal action. If you want me to keep you updated please email me at [email protected]

I am sending a letter to Marley as StevoChivs suggests. I do believe that some houses had remedial work done (a small development somewhere in Aberdeenshire) but I think that was at the time of the previous Site Manager who unfortunately parted company with Marley.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back