Marmox / Backer boards, will they support a bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question really. I'm rebuilding my bathroom floor which is in a first floor 1901 flat.

The Floor construction is concrete throughout the flat but in the bathroom to make it up to the level of the other floor levels there is a layer of compressed pumice with a screed on top (in total about 3" - 4".

I'm removing the pumice and screed with the intention of laying insulation and electric underfloor heating. I'll use a self leveling compound first to get a nice surface.

So my questions are this.
1) Are backer boards (Marmox) strong enough to take the weight of a bath (I'll probably be using 50mm).
2) Should I screed over the underfloor heating cables or just use tile adhesive?
3) Should I PVA the floor to seal it before using the self leveling comp?

Really appreciate any views on this.

Best Wishes[/list]

Sponsored Links
Simple question really. I'm rebuilding my bathroom floor which is in a first floor 1901 flat.

The Floor construction is concrete throughout the flat but in the bathroom to make it up to the level of the other floor levels there is a layer of compressed pumice with a screed on top (in total about 3" - 4".

I'm removing the pumice and screed with the intention of laying insulation and electric underfloor heating. I'll use a self leveling compound first to get a nice surface.

So my questions are this.
1) Are backer boards (Marmox) strong enough to take the weight of a bath (I'll probably be using 50mm).
2) Should I screed over the underfloor heating cables or just use tile adhesive?
3) Should I PVA the floor to seal it before using the self leveling comp?

Really appreciate any views on this.

Best Wishes[/list]

1) yes
2)tile adhesive
3)NO, NEVER, use PVA. if you want to prime/seal it use either an BAL SBR
or BAL APD. Read the instructions on your SLC ( self levelling compound) and dont put it on to thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back