Mascerators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a downstairs toilet but will need to use a mascerator toilet due to distance to soil stack. I have read many and various items of the pros and cons of mascerators but as have no other option but to install one (?) I would like some advice on the best one to use. The waste will need to be pumped vertically for approx 6 feet for part of the distance to the soil stack.

Sponsored Links
If possible avoid a "compact" unit fitted directly to the back of the toilet. Noise and difficult maintenance are the disadvantages of these units. During a power cut they cannot be used. If the toilet is used twice while there is no power then some "compact" units will over flow and dump soiled water onto the floor.

If possible use a 100 mm gravity pipe from the toilet to a location where a less compact macerator and pump can be installed.

I would recommend Mono Pumps as we had 30 years of service from a Mutrator 8 without any problems. Handling all the waste from our house. That would be too large for a single toilet with pump on demand but they may produce a unit suitable for your needs.

( pump on demand = a macerator / pump that cannot store more than one or two flushes before it has to pump out )

Distance from location of toilet to soil stack is approx 13 feet of concrete floor. Not sure if
have put this reply in the right place?

Sponsored Links
Distance won't be a problem if you can find a route. Might be a bit of work but I'd avoid a macerator if at all possible.

The fall over 13 feet would need to be just over three inches.

Could you arrange to raise the floor level in the room by 5 inches to provide a gravity drop to the stack pipe ?

Many thanks for all the replies and advice. What does the post about the gravity drop mean?

I will try and explain how the pipework will go. The pipework from the mascerator will have to go from ground level up approx 6 feet into the roofspace above the kitchen extension. The pipework will then go through the kitchen wall and join the soil stack which is in the lean too that is next to the kitchen. I hope that helps.

When installing it, install it with the consideration that you will have to dismantle it and clean it out or repair some day so make sure that you can get to every part of it.

The one in my downstairs toilet has not been used in years because its bust & stuck behind the toilet. for me it can stay there lol

What does the post about the gravity drop mean?
It means there doesn't need to be much of a drop between the toilet connector and the connection to the soil stack - ie it can be quite a shallow gradient.
Given the drop needed, you could possibly get away with nothing more than one of those pedestals used to raise the bowl up for disabled use. TBH, I find a standard loo a bit low - dunno why they are that height other than "we've always made them like that" !

So, have a good look/think and see if there is any way to go "nearly horizontal" (above the floor) to the soil stack. Obviously a doorway will be a show stopper, but most other obstacles can be overcome if there's a will.

Many thanks for all the advice etc. I will be reviewing the installation with my plumber soon and we will discuss all the advice. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back