masking tape takes paint off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just painted the skirting boards, we masked the wall above. Did two coats of wood/metal paint satin finish. When we took the masking tape off it little bits of the new paint off with it. it also happened on the window frame we painted

what can we do to avoid this in future?

CHeers, Rich

Sponsored Links
i assume u mean the masking paint took some of the new satin off, and not emulsion from the wall, then...

u have to take the tape off when the paint is still wet, i assume u've let the first coat dry. i wouldn't bother masking off to paint skirtings, i'd just cut it in. HWR if u insist doing it that way then i suggest keeping the paint a few millimetres back from the tape on the first coat - don't paint up to it at all. Then paint over it (the tape) on the second coat and remove the tape pretty much immediately - pulling the tape away from the fresh paint - in this case towards the ceiling.

Don’t use masking tape; you will never see a pro decorator using it. It’s primarily for use when paint spraying in the auto industry & although it may seem like a good idea for a bit of DIY decorating, it can cause problems which you will be unaware of until you try to remove the stuff. Unless you trim along the edge with a craft knife, there is a huge risk it will pull chunks of the gloss finish you’ve just painted with it, as you’ve discovered. There is also a big risk the tape will pull the emulsion paint on the wall if the paint adhesion is not particularly good & masking tape sticks firmer the longer you leave it in place.

Take a bit of time/practice & learn how to “cut in”; contrary to what you might think, use a wide brush not a small one. ;)

Fair point about the tape sticking faster the longer it's left - therefore (like i said - if u insist on using it) only apply it just b4 ur second coat, make sure it's low tack and u can lower the tack even further by sticking it to ur carpet (make sure the carpet isn't rotten dirty), peeling it off, and then stick it 2 the wall.

Obviously Richard is right about cutting in, but if this is the only job ur likely to do and couldn't be bothered learning then u can try it ur way - i've never done it myself...

The paint may also get drawn up behind the masking tape by capillary action - emulsion does but it's a lot thinner...

Enjoy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back