masonry bee problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
In Spring I observed bees entering the wall of our bungalow via 3 holes (drilled and plugged but open - created by a previous occupant for a sky dish).
The holes have since been blocked by what is a mud type substance.
Reading suggests these were masonry bees?
If so, advice on the internet is mixed regarding whether or not they are a problem.
To be on the safe side, I would like to eliminate them.
Advice seems to be sealing the holes.
I understand there will now be eggs laid in the internal mortar of the cavity so next Spring won't the bees burrow more in their bid to get out - and potentially cause more problems (especially if they head for the internal wall)?
Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

PS We can hear a clicking noise (which stops if we make a noise) in the room next to where the bees are. Is this something else?

Sponsored Links
peteuk - I say leave them bee (sorry :LOL: ) for this year; they won't do any real damage. Next Spring look out for the Queen's flight then block-up if necessary, although I'd let them get on with it. I live in an old Victorian house, bricks & lime mortar, and I've had the little critters for 25 years and the place is still standing (they were here before I moved in). Be glad you're sharing your place with them (similar to House Martins - although people get their knickers in a twist about these lovely things).

Of course you could have something else living in the walls ... remember the film Alien?

Masonry bees live in masnry, don't believe for one minute that they carry jackhammers, they find a suitable szed dwelling, and move in.

They cannot drill through, and come crawling into your room, that's why they seal it with mud, and not concrete :LOL: don't worry, they will leave next year

Sponsored Links
Dear all,
Thanks for the advice but I am confused:

Symptoms wrote: "Next Spring look out for the Queen's flight then block-up if necessary"
Do you mean a mass exodus from the wall? I understand masonry bees are known as solitary bees so there won't be a Queen's flight as such?

Libby Lou Lou wrote: "don't worry, they will leave next year"
Internet advice seems to be they use the same site back year after year.

Am I reading the wrong things? Please confirm / correct my stupidity.

Obviously my concern is that they will destroy the mortar between bricks and that this may in time cause a structural problem. (And I am sure I saw a program on the TV many years ago about such a thing)

Am I worrying needlessly. Thanks
Pete

Please help. I don't mind leaving them if there will be no repercussions

peteuk - only a Queen will 'over Winter' as all the drones will chroke this year. She will leave the nest in the Spring to look for her first feed and an alternative nest site, probably further along your wall. That's why you'll often see a group of entry holes, maybe about 8mm in dia, 'drilled' into the mortar. They like old mortar 'cos it's softer than the modern stuff (lime versus cement).

I still say leave her alone ... how much damage is she really going to do ... very little IMO. Poorly pointed walls are more likely to be damaged by weather than these creatures.

Yes ... you are likely to get conflicting advice on the net, and here for that matter ... and then make a choice. My opinion is based on the bees who've been living in my wall (South facing) for quarter of a century (and before my arrival) ... no structural damage just a few holes in the lime mortar.

{breezer throws large spanner from a distance}

Symptoms, you have had / got these bees for 25 years, and you dont care / not worried. Fine.

Some people how ever are scared sh*tless by bees and dont want them at any cost

me. i wouldn't want them either, they do not pay any rent, are annoying, make me jump if i am not expecting one.

But they are essential for the natural growth of the plantlife around you & without bees we would all be doomed.

Doomed I say, doomed.... :D

Thanks for all the advice, and the shared humour......
Will probably leave alone and see what happens next year....

Pete

Seems to be my week for insects (ref another post)
Anyway I had concluded I had masonry bees and they were totally harmless.
But for some reason I typed masonry bee damage into the search engine and some sites say they do do damage!
Where wood is soft
or
Soft mortar

They are entering my bungalow through an airbrick which is under a wooden floor. Presumably this allows movement under the floor to the walls of the original house - where there would be old mortar.

Obviously it's very difficult to inspect if they are causing damage, or to repoint.
Does anyone actually have any experience of them and damage caused / not caused?
I could spray when they emerge next year but don't want to unnecesarily kill them, especially as others may come anyway.
An alternative may be to install other accomodation for them in the garden but they might not chose to use it - the wall is by far the best place I would think if I was a bee. LOL

Well you need to arm yourself with some info about the bees and their lifestyle and habits etc in order to make a good decision about what to do, and you're not going to get that here, unless one of us is a closet naturalist. ( Thats not the taking-off-your-clothes one).

But you could stick a finer mesh over your airbricks to stop them getting in next year.

If you want to go for the "Final Solution" ant powder dusted around where they go in and out will probably finish them off. It can do in a huge nest full of wasps in a couple of days.

Does anyone have any advice?

advice on the internet is mixed regarding whether or not they are a problem.
they don't do any harm they live on their own and use an old hole to lay an egg which will hatch into another bee I've had them in my wall for years using old drill holes so out of interest I drilled lots of holes in a bit of 4x2 & screwed it to the wall they now use that and they are quite fascinating to watch and they Evan plug the hole up when their done so leave them alone as they don't hurt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back