Masonry paint nightmare, please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is the first time i've posted on here so please dont be to harsh lol. Ive been painting my dads house with a blue masonry paint and a few days ago I was trying to paint above the porch, when suddenly the ladders gave way, throwing me down on to the patio, the paint can came with me aswell, leaving my foot broken and the patio splattered in masonry paint.

View media item 46496 View media item 46497 View media item 46498
Can anyone give me advice or any help whatsoever removing this stuff? Any help much appreciated. Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
If you had washed it off before it dried (I know, difficult with a busted foot) it would have come away with water. I don't know what will shift dry masonry paint/ emulsion. There is no solvent. You could try scrubbing with hot soapy water or pressure washing which may take the surface off the slabs. The last resort (and maybe cheapest) will be to replace the slabs. Good luck for your recovery.

thanks for the replies guys. The old man did try to wash it off as soon as it had happened, but theproblem was it was such a hot day that it had dried within minutes. Weve already tried a pressure washer, but to no avail. Not sure about turning them over as theyre cemented underneath. have been thinking aboutbuying a flapdisc for the disc cutter and sanding them down. Only problem is it will leave a really smooth marble like surface.

Sponsored Links
Try a blowlamp / propane torch, this might burn and soften the paint, so it can be scraped off.

Wotan

you could get it sand / ice blasted.... the former would be very messy, the latter quite expensive.....

you may be able to do yt with a needle gun on an air compressor. Otherwise get a local shot blaster in.

I got some masonary paint on my stone slabs not long ago, i managed to remove it using a wire brush and soapy water as the jet wash didn't shift it. You can also buy cupped wire wheels that fit onto a small angle grinder to make the job easyer/quicker! Ther very expensive from d.i.y stores but alot cheaper on the internet.

Only trouble is it cleaned the slab so well that the others look dirty now lol but i think i'll just leave it to weather with time rather than scrub about 20 square metres of slabs :eek:

Hope this helps u out in some way :)

Thanks for all your replies people. Sorry I havent commented sooner but my internets been down for a while (aswell as SKY+). The old man is thinking of painting all of the slabs, but ive told him this will mean youll have to continuosely paint them in future (or am I wrong?). Since then I've tried wire brushes, propane torches and just about everything else, but the wire wheel sounds good! Ill let u know how I get on. Once again thanks for all your help! :D

I don't know if it will work but what about a wall paper steamer to penetrate and loosen it and then straight away wash with plenty of water and wire brush, patch by patch.

Patio cleaner left to soak?

Hi, this is the first time i've posted on here so please dont be to harsh lol. Ive been painting my dads house with a blue masonry paint and a few days ago I was trying to paint above the porch, when suddenly the ladders gave way, throwing me down on to the patio, the paint can came with me aswell, leaving my foot broken and the patio splattered in masonry paint.

View media item 46496 View media item 46497 View media item 46498
Can anyone give me advice or any help whatsoever removing this stuff? Any help much appreciated. Thanks. :)

NITROMORS PAINT REMOVER ,OR BRUSH RESTORER WHICH IS A WEEK NITROMORS MIX , OR GRAFITTI REMOVER PLUS A PRESSURE WASHER WILL SHIFT IT , THEN IF YOU WANT AN EVEN SHADE ALL OVER AGAIN - CLEAN THE WHOLE LOT WITH WATERED DOWN BRICK ACID AND WASH OFF , TONY

Was reading through the thread and came to Tonys post - pretty much what I was going to suggest.

Graffiti remover, then brick acid on the entire paving to keep it all the same colour/shade.

Was reading through the thread and came to Tonys post - pretty much what I was going to suggest.

Graffiti remover, then brick acid on the entire paving to keep it all the same colour/shade.

3 months later. Please, everyone let this thread die now :( :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back