Masonry paint to control suction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever user masonry paint to control suction?

I’ve got a room where areas need building up (12-24mm thickness varying) with a backing coat on brick before skimming the whole room , but the brickwork is as dry as sticks, and thirsty as hell.

That ‘Artex Stabilex’ is tricky to get hold of, GypPrime ain’t cheap etc, but I’ve got loads of left over masonry paint. When I’ve used that on an outside wall it consolidates the substrate and seals it. It sticks really well to anything and goes off quickly. The added benefit is it’s textured (sanded) so would provide an extra key. After that i'd probs used Thistle bonding coat.

Can anyone see any obvious drawbacks?

Sponsored Links
FWIW: i've never heard of or seen done what you propose. I wouldn't do it that way.
I'll tell you what "ain't cheap" - having to re-do the whole thing in a few months time.

You damp down most any backing esp. a very dry backing.
Use a spray or a 8" masonry paint brush & clean water
- then two coats of PVA diluted at water to PVA 4:1 or 3:1.
Allow the first coat to dry and set to on a tacky second coat.

Scratch on the first coat and then layer 10mm coats on it to build it up.

Unless you have good plastering skills dont go near it - hire a plasterer.

There's no reason you can't do that. However, to be on the safe side. before you start your bonding coat PVA the wall and trowel on whilst tacky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back