Masonry - painting garage and wall etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in a period of unemployment and trying to stop myself going crazy by doing things around the house. I'm focusing on my decking and my garage. With my friend's pressure washer I am cleaning off the decking and the garage with a view to repainting both.

I think there is a small leak in my garage roof so I'm going to hop up on that as well and clean that off, and take a look.

My questions are:
- should I clean the garage roof off before the decking? I'm conscious that it's going to rain soon and I want to protect my decking but also I figure I'll need to wash it again when I've washed crap off the roof... and if I wash it again I will then need to paint it again as the washer has blasted off the paint...
- does the garage wall need to be squeaky clean before I repaint? (it hasn't been cleaned for years and is already much better, but it isn't totally white
- do I need to do anything special with the bits which are flaking off? I had a plastering chap round and he said I just needed to paint it rather than do any rendering. I've never done anything like this before so any advice is gratefully received!

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240512_122058.jpg
    20240512_122058.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240512_122055.jpg
    20240512_122055.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240512_122103 (1).jpg
    20240512_122103 (1).jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 9
Sponsored Links
Looks clean already so no.
I just used large sponge and water and washed over.
Fill with masonry filler.
Sponge smooth.
Paint wall.
Read the application data sheet online for the paint products. You will find answers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back