What paint to use on a garage floor, painted 25 years ago?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
25 years ago, I used International Paint's "Concrete Floor Sealer" and Bright Red "Garage Floor Paint" on my garage floor, and it's still going strong, has not pealed or faded. However, there are some chips in the paint, a few small areas of abrasion and damage from spilt spray-gun cleaner. There were some oil spills, and so after tidying the garage, I washed the floor with white spirit, considering the age the floor looks really good, but I wondered about a repaint, because as I get older, I wont fancy doing it then.

I've seen some reviews on the net about floor paint flaking off, admittedly some people didn't use a sealer, but I saw a number of complaints about Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint, it peeled off of previously painted wood flooring, chips easily and doesn't cover very well! Consequently I wondered what other people's experience or advice is, as I'm actually thinking that I should leave well alone and not repaint it?

International Paints appears to have been taken over by AkzoNobel, I searched on International's website and they don't appear to market a garage floor paint any more, "Railway Wheel Paint" was the nearest! Ronseal and Leyland both sell Tile Red Floor Paint which from the colour charts appears darker than that on my garage floor, so no chance of touching it up, it probably means a complete repaint ☹️

Sponsored Links
I looked into but didn't pursue ( through time and inclination not doubt) epoxy floor paint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back