Painting garage interior walls & floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a 13 year old house which has an integral garage and I want to paint it because the walls are bare building block & cement and the follow is concrete.

At my last house I just painted the floor, and the walls just leaked dust on it so I want to seal and paint these walls. That house was new build, so when I painted the floor it was about a year old. I swept it and then used a PVA/water mix to seal it. Then I used some bog standard garage floor paint Internation or Wickes, I can't remember. The paint quickly came up under car tyres, and the rest of it started flaking after a few years.

Now I'm sure that my new house's garage floor is much better condition (especially less dusty) than the last house, however I am keen to do a better job this time. The new floor is quite clean (no sign of oil etc) and smooth. Currently I plan to use an epoxy floor paint as I expect it to be harder wearing, but am still unsure of preparation and treatment.

So my basic questions are:
1) Are the tins of concrete primer/sealer better than using PVA/water?
2) Do I need to do any other preparation to the floor?
3) I just want to stop dust coming from the walls + make it look better, so is PVA/water followed by painting the most sensible thing to do?

Sponsored Links
1/ "NEVER" use PVA as a sealer prior to painting. It causes longterm problems . 2/ Depends on the product you buy. 3/ "NEVER" use PVA as a sealer prior to painting.

I wouldnt use concrete primer sealer under epoxy...you may get a reaction...use a thinned coat on the bare concrete first.

As third says..the fact you used PVA before is almost certainly the reason why the floor paint peeled.

Dust proofing the walls with PVA is ok...just dont paint over it.

Sponsored Links
No just thin down the paint a little

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back