Master socket or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
Just a little help needed.
I have this junction box before my socket(only phone socket in the house)
Is the junction box classed as the master.
I'm asking because the extension that's plugged into the socket goes to the living room where my router is (no plug socket near the phone socket) is faulty and I'm loosing 5 mb from the main socket to the extension end.
Can I remove the socket in the pic and extend out of the junction box to the living room with phone cable and fit a new box .
Am I right in thinking that as long as I leave the junction box where it is and don't touch the incoming line I'm not breaking the "can't move master socket law".
IMAG0074.jpg

Cheers

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Assuming there are no other sockets then you don't have a new bt nte.

They would fit one if you had erm, phone quality issues !

There's nothing stopping you replacing the wiring to move the socket further, no.

Cheers

The problem with getting Openreach out, is that you're phone service provider will tell you that if they can't find a problem, then you'd get charged £160. Having said that, the engineer that came out to us, found it was our fault, but just reported a general fault, and moved the master socket to where the router was sited. If you spot an Openreach van, have a chat with the engineer, and he'll show you what equipment you need to get to move the socket.

Assuming there are no other sockets then you don't have a new bt nte.

They would fit one if you had erm, phone quality issues !

There's nothing stopping you replacing the wiring to move the socket further, no.

Cheers

Thanks
The only issue would be if they replaced it for a new style one it would still be on the wrong wall, it literally needs to be on the other side of the house.
That is the only socket, the drop line comes in through the door frame to the left of the socket and runs under the beading to the junction box then into the socket.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
The problem with getting Openreach out, is that you're phone service provider will tell you that if they can't find a problem, then you'd get charged £160. Having said that, the engineer that came out to us, found it was our fault, but just reported a general fault, and moved the master socket to where the router was sited. If you spot an Openreach van, have a chat with the engineer, and he'll show you what equipment you need to get to move the socket.

I'm never that lucky lol.
They might be reluctant doing it without charging as they would need to re route a longer drop line a house width across then drill through the wall.
I wouldn't fancy my chances in this getting done for free lol.

They don't reroute the drop line; they use a new master socket with a thickish cable to extend it. I can't remember things completely, but I think the little box to the left of the master socket only has 2 wires in it. The cheap diy extendable cables always drop the line speed, but you could try using a bit of solid core phone cable to extend the 2 wires to the new master socket position.

They don't reroute the drop line; they use a new master socket with a thickish cable to extend it. I can't remember things completely, but I think the little box to the left of the master socket only has 2 wires in it. The cheap diy extendable cables always drop the line speed, but you could try using a bit of solid core phone cable to extend the 2 wires to the new master socket position.

Ah so they would just run it round skirting and over door frames to extend from the junction box?
Not actually re do the outside line to the part of the house where it needs to be?

I think it is two wires in the junction box, so do I just get some new cable and connect 2 lines there and 2 at the new master socket.
Thanks for your help

You got it on both accounts. Use a 5amp connector block to make a good connection, and then see what the speed is.

You got it on both accounts. Use a 5amp connector block to make a good connection, and then see what the speed is.

Thanks.
Screwfix do telephone cable at 1.07 per meter I need about 6 meters .so not bad and I'll use the existing Box but I think I can leave out the connector block as I've opened the junction box and there's to grey thick wires going to A and B then the socket next to it has standard bt cable joined on another connection block , so can I just remove the wires that go to the socket and put my new ones in there ( using the correct tool).
I've attached pics .
Thanks a bunch for the help
IMAG0076.jpg IMAG0075.jpg

You could try using the current extension lead that you've got to test the system - that's if you're happy to cut the plug head of it of course. But yes, you're method should be fine.

You could try using the current extension lead that you've got to test the system - that's if you're happy to cut the plug head of it of course. But yes, you're method should be fine.

Thanks
It is a job pulling the painted beading off then the skirting in the living room to run the new cable. I'm happy to cut the ends off the extension lead but it was only a cheap one 11 year ago so might be best to change ,do you think?

Give it a go first, and then check the results. If you get an improvement, then go and get a better quality telephone cable. You can get better deals than Screwfix, and the temp job will give you a longer chance to finalise things.

Go and buy a roll of copper telephone cable CW1308. Avoid the CCA (copper-clad aluminium) and CCS (copper clad steel) which are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. A 100m roll of 2-pair copper CW1308 will be around £15.00, CCS or CCA about a tenner so the price will tell you what is good stuff, and what is not. TLC Electrical and CPC Farnell are two (of many) suppliers.

If you do not have a BT Master box, then you can also buy a "generic" one to put on the end of your extension cable.
HTH

Go and buy a roll of copper telephone cable CW1308. Avoid the CCA (copper-clad aluminium) and CCS (copper clad steel) which are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. A 100m roll of 2-pair copper CW1308 will be around £15.00, CCS or CCA about a tenner so the price will tell you what is good stuff, and what is not. TLC Electrical and CPC Farnell are two (of many) suppliers.

If you do not have a BT Master box, then you can also buy a "generic" one to put on the end of your extension cable.
HTH

Hi thanks for the info that's great.
Helps loads.
Thanks all.
I'm gonna move the junction box too so will need to shorten the two grey wires which go to A and B .
Does it matter which way round they go?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back