Master Socket Stuck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the screws on my BT master socket faceplate just spins and spins and won't unscrew, so although I can unscrew one side the other side is still attached. I can pull it abut 1mm away from the backplate but that's it. If I pull hard then the backplate starts to come away from the wall.

This isn't a problem right now but I'm sure one day I'll need to access the test socket behind there.

Has this ever happenned to anyone before? Any tips on removing it? I obviously don't want to damage the socket as I believe this is technically BT's equipment.

Sponsored Links
Loosen it as much as you can then put a flat screwdriver in the gap that opens between front and back parts. Gently twist this screwdiver to push the two parts apart while undoing the second screw.

I tried again with wedging a screwdriver inbetween the 2 sections prising them apart whilst unscrewing the offending screw and managed to loosen it a tiny bit but then it followed the same cycle of tightening up a bit then unscrewing a bit all the while I was unscrewing. Does this indicate anything?

On the plus side, some of the screw head is now exposed - not all of it but most, so I was thinking, do I take a hacksaw to it, or give it a hard tug with some pliers? I'd have preferred not to break anything but haven't got much choice.

It sounds like it was put in cross-threaded so you will need to keep trying to unscrew it. If you cut the head off you will have no way of extracting the remainder without destroying the back box. I'm assuming we're talking about a recessed box, not a surface-mounted patress box?

Why do you want to take it off anyway? If this is BT's master socket it will be their problem if any fault-finding etc is required in the future. In my view you're making hard work of a job that doesn't actually need doing. In other words, if it ain't broke ... etc etc....

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's cross threaded. I just think the metal insert that the screw screws into has come loose from its plastic housing and is spinning around.

It's a recessed box, yes. I was wanting to take it off to access the test socket which sits behind the faceplate.

grap hold of the screw head with pliers or nippers, pull on it steadily while rotating it in an unscrewing direction. If you can get a tack lifter under the head it will be easier.

Is the screw going into a plastic pattress, or a galvanised wall box? If a galvanised box, then usually a section of thread on the (plated brass) screw has been damaged, this will get it out.

Hi John, no space for a tack lifter but I should just be able to get some pliers on it.

It's going into a plastic pattress but there's a metal threaded insert which the screw goes into. I believe this metal threaded insert has become loose in the plastic surround and is just spinning.

if necessary, you can fit a new pattress. You may have to break up the old one to get the plate off without damaging the wires. Side cutters will probably do it.

That's the whole problem though John. If I could replace it all I'd just smash this one out and not bother being so delicate.

I'm talking about the BT master socket. The householder is able to take the faceplate off to fit extensions/iplates or check the connection using the test socket (indeed if ever you report a problem with the line the first thing BT say is to remove the faceplate and test the phone/broadband plugged directly into the test socket)

However, once the faceplate is off, the pattress holds the incoming cable which is wired into the test socket. The householder is not allowed to tinker with this as it is the property of BT (as it were). So... if I damage the pattress box then I'd either have to just use the screw at the other side to secure the box, or pay Openreach to come out and fit a whole new master socket.

Seeing as BT's hardware is damaged, why not tell them to just come out and replace it free of charge?

It's their responsibility. Get them to fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back