Mat varnish or something over emulsion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made some plywood door cards for a 4x4 truck and I need a mat grey finish, ideally using exterior paint. I've looked at outdoor paints but they have limited colours and are gloss. Gloss inside a vehicle really looks bad. I've now painted the door cards using dark grey emulsion (still drying). But with emulsion on plywood when you run your fingernail over it leaves a mark, so the doorcards will look quite tatty soon.

I was thinking of going over the door cards with mat varnish. I tried vacht varnish on a piece of sample ply but that is way to glossy.

If it's all a bad idea then I'll just need to leave it as emulsion.

Traditionally door cards in rally vehicles are done using brushed aluminium or aluminium chequer but for various reasons I didn't want to take that route. Using chequer plate is often an MOT fail as it's abrasive.

Sponsored Links
Nice one! "Dead flat" I assume means it won't gloss, and the datasheet says it can be applied over emulsion.

Ordering it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back