Matchboard cladding;screw or glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to clad a wall to create something akin to a wainscot by cladding the wall to about 700mm in matchboard and topping off with a rail(dado or similar).i could use no nails and fix direct to wall or use battens which can be screwed to.The second option allows for future removal and the air gap could allow the wall to breathe -the wall could be a little damp-but is a little more tome consuming.

What would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Batten and pack it out so that the battens are both straight and plumb (walls are often all over the place) - three roes for best support. If you need air gapping this can be incorporated into the battening by having periodic small gaps in the battening, with these gaps staggered. You may need to consider having some air vents in the skirting at the bottom as well. Best way to fix the T&G is to secret pin/nail it. You'll need a suitable capping profile for the top which may need to be scribed to the wall if it is really bad

Batten and pack it out so that the battens are both straight and plumb (walls are often all over the place) - three roes for best support. If you need air gapping this can be incorporated into the battening by having periodic small gaps in the battening, with these gaps staggered. You may need to consider having some air vents in the skirting at the bottom as well. Best way to fix the T&G is to secret pin/nail it. You'll need a suitable capping profile for the top which may need to be scribed to the wall if it is really bad

Many thanks for this advice.I like the idea of staggering the battens,and will, allow for venting by having a 5mm gap between the floor and cladding.I also note the suggestion of using (panel) pins.I was hoping to cap with a dado rail or some narrow architrave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back